Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com> on 2002/04/04 11:08:17 UTC

Altrmi error

Altrmi, welcome to Avalon :-)

I built Altrmi on one machine and added it to a project. Then ran the
client from another machine and get the following error.

[ERROR] Unexpected IOE in StreamServerConnection #1
java.io.InvalidClassException:
org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.common.OpenConnectionRequest; Local class
not compatible: stream classdesc serialVersionUID=1773735791378198918
local class serialVersionUID=-1874297155983386446
at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.validateLocalClass(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.setClass(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.inputClassDescriptor(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.inputObject(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.common.SerializationHelper.getInstanceFromBytes(SerializationHelper.java:98)
at
org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.common.SerializationHelper.getInstanceFromBytes(SerializationHelper.java:75)
at
org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.server.impl.ServerCustomStreamReadWriter.readRequest(ServerCustomStreamReadWriter.java:66)
at
org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.server.impl.ServerCustomStreamReadWriter.writeReplyAndGetRequest(ServerCustomStreamReadWriter.java:47)
at
org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.server.impl.StreamServerConnection.run(StreamServerConnection.java:86)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

This is using the Instrument client/manager packages. This class might
need to have a hardcoded serialVersion id.

Leif

Re: Altrmi error

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.

Paul Hammant wrote:

>I think that might be it, and had marveled that we had not had to
>address baseline issues before.
>It might be that using target attribute of the javac taskdef might solve
>things without hardcoding serialization ids.
>
>Question.
>
>What were the three machines involved? Their OS and JDK versions please
>
>1) build machine
>2) server
>3) client

I tried several combinations of where the server and client were built.
They were all bad unless
the common jar used by the client and server were both built on the same
machine and then used
globally.
The machines are an NT4 machine and a W2k machine.

The more likely difference, which I had not noticed before was that the
W2k machine is using the
IBM JDK1.3 compiler, while the NT4 machine is using Jikes. I had
forgotten that I had disabled
jikes a while back as part of a test.

This should be supported though because we often have to check jars like
this in to projects so
that other developers do not need to checkout and build all jars
required by a project themselves.

Leif

Re: Altrmi error

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Leif,

>Altrmi, welcome to Avalon :-)

:-)

>I built Altrmi on one machine and added it to a project. Then ran the
>client from another machine and get the following error.
>
>[ERROR] Unexpected IOE in StreamServerConnection #1
>java.io.InvalidClassException:
>org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.common.OpenConnectionRequest; Local class
>not compatible: stream classdesc serialVersionUID=1773735791378198918
>local class serialVersionUID=-1874297155983386446
>at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.validateLocalClass(Unknown Source)
>at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.setClass(Unknown Source)
>at java.io.ObjectInputStream.inputClassDescriptor(Unknown Source)
>at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(Unknown Source)
>at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(Unknown Source)
>at java.io.ObjectInputStream.inputObject(Unknown Source)
>at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(Unknown Source)
>at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(Unknown Source)
>at
>org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.common.SerializationHelper.getInstanceFromBytes(SerializationHelper.java:98)
>at
>org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.common.SerializationHelper.getInstanceFromBytes(SerializationHelper.java:75)
>at
>org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.server.impl.ServerCustomStreamReadWriter.readRequest(ServerCustomStreamReadWriter.java:66)
>at
>org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.server.impl.ServerCustomStreamReadWriter.writeReplyAndGetRequest(ServerCustomStreamReadWriter.java:47)
>at
>org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.server.impl.StreamServerConnection.run(StreamServerConnection.java:86)
>at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
>
>This is using the Instrument client/manager packages. This class might
>need to have a hardcoded serialVersion id.

I think that might be it, and had marveled that we had not had to
address baseline issues before.
It might be that using target attribute of the javac taskdef might solve
things without hardcoding serialization ids.

Question.

What were the three machines involved? Their OS and JDK versions please

1) build machine
2) server
3) client

Regards,

- Paul H

Re: Altrmi error

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Leif,

>No reply yet, and this was drivng me crazy, so I went ahead and added
>serialVersionUIDs to
>the Serializable classes in the common directory.
>
>I was having problems when jars were built on different machines.

Man, I replied a couple of hours before you did the commits. Bloody mail
servers!

I can do a performace test now thanks :-)

- Paul

Re: Altrmi error

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Leif,

>No reply yet, and this was drivng me crazy, so I went ahead and added
>serialVersionUIDs to
>the Serializable classes in the common directory.

It is faster by 20% - 30%. This feature is gunna stay :-)

- Paul

Re: Altrmi error

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
No reply yet, and this was drivng me crazy, so I went ahead and added
serialVersionUIDs to
the Serializable classes in the common directory.

I was having problems when jars were built on different machines.

Cheers,
Leif