Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Robert Rapplean <ro...@trueffect.com> on 2013/05/21 16:58:58 UTC

Viewing snappy compressed files

Hey, there. My Google skills have failed me, and I hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

We're storing data on our Hadoop cluster in Snappy compressed format. When we pull a raw file down and try to read it, however, the Snappy libraries don't know how to read the files. They tell me that the stream is missing the snappy identifier. I tried inserting 0xff 0x06 0x00 0x00 0x73 0x4e 0x61 0x50 0x70 0x59 into the beginning of the file, but that didn't do it.

Can someone point me to resources for figuring out how to uncompress these files without going through Hadoop?

Robert Rapplean
Senior Software Engineer
303-872-2256  direct  | 303.438.9597  main | www.trueffect.com

Re: Viewing snappy compressed files

Posted by be...@gmail.com.
If you have snappy codec in io.compression.codecs then you can easily decompress the data out of hdfs directly with a simple command.

hadoop fs -text <full path to file>

Regards
Bejoy KS

What command are you using to extract your data from hadoop?

JM

Hey, there. My Google skills have failed me, and I hope someone here can
point me in the right direction.****

** **

________________________________________****

Posted by Robert Rapplean <ro...@trueffect.com>.
Thanks! This shortcuts my current process considerably, and should take the pressure off for the short term. I'd still like to be able to analyze the data in a python script without having to make a local copy, but that can wait.

Best,

Robert Rapplean
Senior Software Engineer
303-872-2256  direct  | 303.438.9597  main | www.trueffect.com

hdfs dfs -text /path/to/dir/on/hdfs/part-r-00000.snappy | less

From: Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:52 AM
To: "user@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>" <us...@hadoop.apache.org>>

I haven't tried this with snappy , but you can try using hadoop fs -text <path>

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Robert Rapplean <ro...@trueffect.com>> wrote:
Hey, there. My Google skills have failed me, and I hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

We're storing data on our Hadoop cluster in Snappy compressed format. When we pull a raw file down and try to read it, however, the Snappy libraries don't know how to read the files. They tell me that the stream is missing the snappy identifier. I tried inserting 0xff 0x06 0x00 0x00 0x73 0x4e 0x61 0x50 0x70 0x59 into the beginning of the file, but that didn't do it.

Can someone point me to resources for figuring out how to uncompress these files without going through Hadoop?

Robert Rapplean
Senior Software Engineer
303-872-2256<tel:303-872-2256>  direct  | 303.438.9597<tel:303.438.9597>  main | www.trueffect.com<http://www.trueffect.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
======================
This email message and any attachments are for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message along with any attachments, from your computer system. If you are the intended recipient, please be advised that the content of this message is subject to access, review and disclosure by the sender's Email System Administrator.

RE: Viewing snappy compressed files

Posted by Sanjay Subramanian <Sa...@wizecommerce.com>.
+1 Thanks Rahul-da

Posted by Sanjay Subramanian <Sa...@wizecommerce.com>.