Posted to bluesky-dev@incubator.apache.org by chen hecky <he...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/19 11:53:29 UTC

What should wo do next about the Bluesky Project?

After checking the files one by one, we find that most software library are
LGPL------they are dynamic invocation, but there are some GPL included in
our project such as fstream.h, kde/artsc/artsc.h and glib.h and so on(All
the checking is done under the Ubuntu7.10).

I know that there must be not any GPL in the project to upload to Apache.
But what should we do next? Remove the GPL

Re: Re: What should wo do next about the Bluesky Project?

Posted by Ting Peng <t....@gmail.com>.
Dear all,
most of the libs list below are called by xplayer, which we didn't plan to
submit to ASF.

--
Best regards!

Ting Peng (t.peng.dev@gmail.com)
[CN] +86-137-721-59621

Re: Re: What should wo do next about the Bluesky Project?

Posted by bill stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
Ting Peng wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> we can all the APIs provided by the GNU/Linux releases. These API's are
> released under LGPL(like gtk,gnome,glibc,libavcodec,libavformath).  That is
> enough to make our program run.
> It is not needed to make duplicate copy of these headers file in our source
> code tree. We can use dynamic link option when the program is compiled. This
> is according to my knowledge that ASF program can call  LGPLed API
> dynamically.

That is correct.  The Apache HTTP Server and Apache Portable Runtime
projects are very good references.  All you need to do is include
#include lgpl_foo.h statements in your source code for the lgpl api's
you need to use. When you build the project, the build system (make,
autoconf, etc) will find the lgpl_foo.h files (provided by the linux
distribution you are building on) and create the appropriate calls in
your binary to dynamically bind to the lgpl_foo.so files.  There is no
reason you need to copy lgpl header files into the bluesky project.  C
programming 101 :-)

Bill

Re: Re: Re: What should wo do next about the Bluesky Project?

Posted by Ting Peng <t....@gmail.com>.
Dear all,

we can all the APIs provided by the GNU/Linux releases. These API's are
released under LGPL(like gtk,gnome,glibc,libavcodec,libavformath).  That is
enough to make our program run.
It is not needed to make duplicate copy of these headers file in our source
code tree. We can use dynamic link option when the program is compiled. This
is according to my knowledge that ASF program can call  LGPLed API
dynamically.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ting Peng <t....@gmail.com>.
Dear all,

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by chenwei_yi2003 <ch...@126.com>.

在2008-07-22 13:30:43,"Bernd Fondermann" <be...@googlemail.com> 写道:

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by chen hecky <he...@gmail.com>.
Ok.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by chen hecky <he...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, there is a mistake!

2008/7/19, chen hecky <he...@gmail.com>:

> After checking the files one by one, we find that most software library are
> LGPL------they are dynamic invocation, but there are some GPL included in
> our project such as fstream.h, kde/artsc/artsc.h and glib.h and so on(All
> the checking is done under the Ubuntu7.10).
>
> I know that there must be not any GPL in the project to upload to Apache.
> But what should we do next? Remove the GPL

What should we do next? Remove the GPL or replace them?