Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Seetharam Venkatesh <ve...@innerzeal.com> on 2015/05/01 09:26:18 UTC

[VOTE] Accept Apache Atlas into Apache Incubator

Hello folks,

Following the discussion earlier in the thread: http://s.apache.org/r2

I would like to call a VOTE for accepting Apache Atlas as a new incubator
project.

The proposal is available at:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/AtlasProposal
Also, the text of the latest wiki proposal is included at the bottom of
this email.

The VOTE is open for at least the next 72 hours:

 [ ] +1 accept Apache Atlas into the Apache Incubator
 [ ] ±0 Abstain
 [ ] -1 because...

Of course I am +1! (non-binding)

Thanks!

= Apache Atlas Proposal =

== Abstract ==

Apache Atlas is a scalable and extensible set of core foundational
governance services that enables enterprises to effectively and efficiently
meet their compliance requirements within Hadoop and allows integration
with the complete enterprise data ecosystem.

== Proposal ==

Apache Atlas allows agnostic governance visibility into Hadoop, these
abilities are enabled through a set of core foundational services powered
by a flexible metadata repository.

These services include:

 * Search and Lineage for datasets
 * Metadata driven data access control
 * Indexed and Searchable Centralized Auditing operational Events
 * Data lifecycle management – ingestion to disposition
 * Metadata interchange with other metadata tools

== Background ==

Hadoop is one of many platforms in the modern enterprise data ecosystem and
requires governance controls commensurate with this reality.

Currently, there is no easy or complete way to provide comprehensive
visibility and control into Hadoop audit, lineage, and security for
workflows that require Hadoop and non-Hadoop processing.

Many solutions are usually point based, and require a monolithic
application workflow.  Multi-tenancy and concurrency are problematic as
these offerings are not aware of activity outside of their narrow focus.

As Hadoop gains greater popularity, governance concerns will become
increasingly vital to increasing maturity and furthering adoption. It is a
particular barrier to expanding enterprise data under management.

== Rationale ==

Atlas will address issues previously discussed by providing governance
capabilities in Hadoop -- using both a prescriptive and forensic model
enriched by business taxonomical metadata.    Atlas, at its core, is
designed to exchange metadata with other tools and processes within and
outside of the Hadoop stack -- enable governance controls that are truly
platform agnostic and effectively (and defensibly) address compliance
concerns.

Initially working with a group of leading partners in several industries,
Atlas is built to solve specific real world governance problems that
accelerate product maturity and time to value.

Atlas aims to grow a community to help build a widely adopted pattern for
governance, metadata modeling and exchange in Hadoop – which will advance
the interests for the whole community.

== Current Status ==

An initial version with a valuable set of features is developed by the list
of initial committers and is hosted on github.

=== Meritocracy ===

Our intent with this proposal is to start building a diverse  developer
community around Atlas following the Apache meritocracy model. We have
wanted to make the project open source and encourage contributors from
multiple organizations from the start.

We plan to provide plenty of support to new developers and to quickly
recruit those who make solid contributions to committer status.

=== Community ===

We are happy to report that the initial team already represents multiple
organizations. We hope to extend the user and developer base further in the
future and build a solid open source community around Atlas.

=== Core Developers ===

Atlas development is currently being led by engineers from Hortonworks –
Harish Butani, Venkatesh Seetharam, Shwetha G S, and Jon Maron. All the
engineers have deep expertise in Hadoop and are quite familiar with the
Hadoop Ecosystem.

=== Alignment ===

The ASF is a natural host for Atlas given that it is already the home of
Hadoop, Falcon, Hive,  Pig, Oozie, Knox, Ranger, and other emerging “big
data” software projects.

Atlas has been designed to solve the data governance challenges and
opportunities of the Hadoop ecosystem family of products as well as
integration to the tradition Enterprise Data ecosystem.

Atlas fills the gap that the Hadoop Ecosystem has been lacking in the areas
of data governance and compliance management.

== Known Risks ==

=== Orphaned products & Reliance on Salaried Developers ===
The core developers plan to work full time on the project. There is very
little risk of Atlas getting orphaned.  A prototype of Atlas is in use and
being actively developed by several companies and have vested interest in
its continued vitality and adoption.

=== Inexperience with Open Source ===
Many of the core developers are PMC and committers of Apache. Harish Butani
is PMC Apache Hive, Venkatesh Seetharam is PMC on Apache Falcon and Apache
Knox, Shwetha GS is PMC on Apache Falcon and Apache Oozie committer.

=== Homogeneous Developers ===
The current core developers are from diverse set of organizations such as
Hortonworks, Aetna, JPMC, Merck, SAS, Schlumberger and Target. We expect to
quickly establish a
developer  community that includes contributors from additional
organizations post incubation.

=== Reliance on Salaried Developers ===
Currently, most developers are paid to do work on Atlas but few are
contributing  in their spare time. However, once the project has a
community built around it post incubation, we expect to get  additional
committers and developers from outside the current core developers.

=== Relationships with Other Apache Products ===
Atlas is going to be used by the users of Apache Hadoop and the Hadoop
ecosystem in general – particularly with Apache Falcon and Apache Ranger
for rationalizing data lifecycle and security policies respectively.

=== A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===
While we respect the reputation of the Apache brand and have no doubts that
it  will attract contributors and users, our interest is primarily to give
Atlas a solid home as an open source project following an established
development model.  We have also given reasons in the Rationale and
Alignment sections.

== Documentation ==
http://people.apache.org/~venkatesh/atlas/

== Initial Source ==
The source is currently hosted at:
http://people.apache.org/~venkatesh/atlas/

== Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan ==
The complete Atlas code is under Apache Software License 2.

== External Dependencies ==
The dependencies all have Apache compatible licenses. These include BSD,
MIT licensed dependencies.

== Cryptography ==
None

== Required Resources ==

=== Mailing lists ===

 * atlas-dev AT incubator DOT apache DOT org
 * atlas-commits AT incubator DOT apache DOT org
 * atlas-private AT incubator DOT apache DOT org

=== Subversion Directory ===
Git is the preferred source control system: git://git.apache.org/atlas

=== Issue Tracking ===
JIRA Atlas

== Initial Committers ==

 * Venkatesh Seetharam (venkatesh AT apache DOT org)
 * Harish Butani (rhbutani AT apache DOT org)
 * Shwetha Shivalingamurthy (shwethags AT apache DOT org)
 * Jon Maron (jmaron AT hortonworks DOT com)
 * Andrew Ahn  (aahn AT hortonworks DOT com)
 * David Kaspar (david DOT kaspar AT merck DOT com)
 * Ivo Lasek (ivo DOT lasek AT merck DOT com)
 * Dennis Fusaro (fusarod AT aetna DOT com)
 * Chris Hyzer (hyzerc AT aetna DOT com)
 * Daniel Markwat (markwatd  AT aetna DOT com)
 * Greg Senia (seniag AT aetna DOT com)
 * James Vollmer (james DOT vollmer AT target DOT com)
 * Aaron Dossett (aaron DOT dossett AT target DOT com)
 * Mitch Schussler(Mitch DOT Schussler AT jpmorgan DOT com)
 * Viswanath Avasarala  (VAvasarala AT SLB dot com)
 * Anil Varma (AVarma AT SLB dot com)
 * Barbara Stortz (Barbara DOT stortz AT sap DOT com)
 * Srikanth Sundarrajan (sriksun AT apache DOT org)
 * Suresh Srinivas (suresh AT hortonworks DOT org)
 * Venkat Ranganathan (vranganathan AT hortonworks DOT com)

== Affiliations ==

 * Venkatesh Seetharam (Hortonworks)
 * Harish Butani (Hortonworks)
 * Swetha Shivalingamurthy (Hortonworks)
 * Jon Maron (Hortonworks)
 * Andrew Ahn (Hortonworks)
 * David Kasper (Merck)
 * Ivo Lasek (Merck)
 * Dennis Fusaro (Aetna)
 * Chris Hyzer (Aetna)
 * Daniel Markwat (Aetna)
 * Greg Senia (Aetna)
 * James Vollmer (Target)
 * Aaron Dossett  (Target)
 * Schussler, Mitch  (JPMC)
 * Viswanath Avasarala  (Schlumberger)
 * Anil Varma (Schlumberger)
 * Barbara Stortz (SAP)
 * Srikanth Sundarrajan (InMobi)
 * Suresh Srinivas (Hortonworks)
 * Venkat Ranganathan (Hortonworks)

== Sponsors ==

=== Champion ===
 * Jitendra Nath Pandey (jitendra AT apache DOT org)

=== Nominated Mentors ===
 * Arun Murthy  (acmurthy AT apache DOT org)
 * Chris Douglas (cdouglas AT apache DOT org)
 * Jakob Homan (jghoman AT apache DOT org)
 * Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli (vinodkv AT apache DOT org)

=== Sponsoring Entity ===
Incubator PMC

Venkatesh

- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Re: [VOTE] Accept Apache Atlas into Apache Incubator

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 (binding).

Posted by Seetharam Venkatesh <ve...@innerzeal.com>.
Hi Jake,

Sorry that I missed your comment and delay in my response. Thanks for the
heads up and will take this up with podling name search jira.

Thanks!

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

@Venkatesh: I'm interesting to help there. If you want, don't hesitate
to add me in the initial committer set.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Accept Apache Atlas into Apache Incubator

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding).

Alan.

Posted by Suma Shivaprasad <su...@gmail.com>.
+1(non binding)

Thanks
Suma

Posted by Venkat Ranganathan <vr...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 (non binding)

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

thanks,
Arun

Posted by Ajay Yadav <aj...@inmobi.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Cheers
Ajay Yadava

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Sharad Agarwal <sh...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> >  * Anil Varma (Schlumberger)
> >  * Barbara Stortz (SAP)
> >  * Srikanth Sundarrajan (InMobi)
> >  * Suresh Srinivas (Hortonworks)
> >  * Venkat Ranganathan (Hortonworks)
> >
> > == Sponsors ==
> >
> > === Champion ===
> >  * Jitendra Nath Pandey (jitendra AT apache DOT org)
> >
> > === Nominated Mentors ===
> >  * Arun Murthy  (acmurthy AT apache DOT org)
> >  * Chris Douglas (cdouglas AT apache DOT org)
> >  * Jakob Homan (jghoman AT apache DOT org)
> >  * Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli (vinodkv AT apache DOT org)
> >
> > === Sponsoring Entity ===
> > Incubator PMC
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Venkatesh
> >
> > “Perfection (in design) is achieved not when there is nothing more to
> add,
> > but rather when there is nothing more to take away.”

receipt.

Re: [VOTE] Accept Apache Atlas into Apache Incubator

Posted by Sharad Agarwal <sh...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

[RESULT][VOTE] Accept Apache Atlas into Apache Incubator

Posted by Seetharam Venkatesh <ve...@innerzeal.com>.
Hi folks,

With nine +1 binding votes, six +1 non-binding votes, (fifteen +1 votes
total) NO +/-0 or -1 votes, this VOTE PASSES.

Thanks to all who voted! Here's a tally of +1 binding votes:

Jitendra Pandey
Alan Gates
Jan I
Taylor Goetz
Arun C Murthy
Jean-Baptiste Onofre
Suresh Srinivas
Sharad Agarwal
Amareshwari

Non-binding:
Dilli Arumugam
Shwetha Shivalingamurthy
Venkatesh Seetharam
Ajay Yadav
Venkat Ranganathan
Suma Shivaprasad

Thanks!

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 12:26 AM, Seetharam Venkatesh <

Posted by "amareshwarisr ." <am...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Thanks
Amareshwari