Posted to juice-dev@xml.apache.org by Werner Dittmann <We...@t-online.de> on 2006/02/25 09:23:24 UTC

Question regaring Password based encryption (PBE)

All,

I started to get PBE up and running in JuiCE. The code modifications
in existing code are fairly small because PBE uses the same existing
encryption engines (AES, DES, etc.). There are problems remaining:
enabling PBE in the existing code requires that we need to copy
a fair amount of code from BouncyCastle to be able to handle the
password based keys.

I've tried to do a "lightwight" implementation but it turned out that
this is not possible because not all required methods are "public" in
BC thus we cannot access them.

As copying over the code and modifing it to run with JuiCE is not a
big deal. Would it be ok to use a larger amount of BC code more or
less verbatim? According to BC's license it is ok to do so.

Regards,
Werner

Re: Question regaring Password based encryption (PBE)

Posted by Werner Dittmann <We...@t-online.de>.
Berin,

the license of BC is very iberal and allows to copy their code, modify
it etc for any purpose (there is a copy of BC's license in the LICENSE
directory of JuiCE).

This is what I had in mid as well. The key generation uses message
digests (SHA, MD5, ...) to derive the actual key from a given password,
salt, and iteration count. AFAIK this specific algo is not implemented
in OpenSSL. Thus we can use the OpenSSL digest code to generate the
actual key - this link is already implemented in JuiCE.

Regards,
Werner

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.