Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Andreas Bachmann <ba...@te-clan.ch> on 2008/01/27 12:06:29 UTC

Struts 1.3.8: DTDs are gone?

Hello!

I was developing Struts for 4 years. I looked at Struts 2.0 but haven't been
understanding it %-|
So I haven't switched to 2.x and am staying on the 1.x branch.

I downloaded the whole 1.3.8 (struts-1.3.8-all.zip) and started a new
project.
There are a few things I don't unterstand:
- In the past, I had to use also a validator-rules.xml with all the rules
like "minlength", "maxlength" and "intRange", if I would like to use the
Validator. Why is it not in the example projects?
- I don't find the 5 DTDs to validate my JSPs (=
http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsUpgradeNotes12to13). The links like
http://struts.apache.org/tags-bean are gone :,(

Any ideas why these two things happened?

Andreas

Re: Struts 1.3.8: DTDs are gone?

Posted by Andreas Bachmann <ba...@te-clan.ch>.

Antonio Petrelli-3 wrote:

> There is no technology change. The DTD is used to validate XML files,
> TLD is used to define custom tag libraries for JSPs. They are totally
> unrelated.

Oh sh*t... excuse me for my stupidity. In the past, there was also only
TLDs.
I just wanted to get my empty Struts+Tiles+Validator project working and
didn't looked at the extensions exactly. I was writing own DTDs (for own
XMLs) and TLDs (for own TabLibs)... but it's too long ago (3 years).

Now, the project is set-up.

Thanks again!

Re: Struts 1.3.8: DTDs are gone?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/1/27, Andreas Bachmann <ba...@te-clan.ch>:

> Antonio Petrelli-3 wrote:
> >
> > They are not DTDs, but JSP taglib URIs, the ones that are defined in
> > the <uri> element in the TLD files.
> > If you put struts-taglib.jar in your WEB-INF/lib, they are
> > automatically resolved.
> >
> Oh... ok! Thank you!
> I didn't know that the "Technologie" changed from DTD to TLD and I didn't
> looked carefully in the "lib" directory.

There is no technology change. The DTD is used to validate XML files,
TLD is used to define custom tag libraries for JSPs. They are totally
unrelated.

Antonio

Re: Struts 1.3.8: DTDs are gone?

Posted by Andreas Bachmann <ba...@te-clan.ch>.

Re: Struts 1.3.8: DTDs are gone?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/1/27, Andreas Bachmann <ba...@te-clan.ch>:
> - I don't find the 5 DTDs to validate my JSPs (=
> http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsUpgradeNotes12to13). The links like
> http://struts.apache.org/tags-bean are gone :,(

They are not DTDs, but JSP taglib URIs, the ones that are defined in
the <uri> element in the TLD files.
If you put struts-taglib.jar in your WEB-INF/lib, they are
automatically resolved.

HTH
Antonio

Re: Struts 1.3.8: DTDs are gone?

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.
Andreas Bachmann wrote:
> - In the past, I had to use also a validator-rules.xml with all the rules
> like "minlength", "maxlength" and "intRange", if I would like to use the
> Validator. Why is it not in the example projects?

The file is now bundled within struts.jar. You no longer need to include
it in your webapp.

L.