Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/11/21 13:48:47 UTC

Re: Crossreference info (was: WASP Lite on Apache?)

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Now, imagine a newcomer getting into xml.apache.org: how in hell is
> she/he going to find out
> http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/xref.html?

Long term plans are to make gump a full fledged subproject of Jakarta - all
that remains is to bootstrap a development community.  As it stands now,
everytime I am distracted by other things, I see Gump results suffer
measurably.  :-(

Once this happens I do intent to fully advertise it. Meanwhile, you will
find the URL I mentioned above can be gotten to by two mouse clicks from
the page you mentioned.  Or from Jakarta's web site.  At the moment, the
same is even true about www.apache.org.

> Please, for the new site, let's try to make it "usable", not just dense
> of information.

That information was produced by a single, and relatively straightforward
stylesheet.  The source can be found at
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/~checkout~/jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump/stylesheet/xref.xsl

.

> Sam: sorry for appearing somewhat harsh on this, but your comment
> sounded to me a lot like those famous one-liner comments that irritate
> people rather than giving some information to them.

My only intent was to say that the raw data is present.  Now I've added a
direct pointer to the place where potential improvements can be made.  Let
me add an open invite to anybody who cares to contribute, and a suggestion
that they join me on the alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org mailing list.
Anything else I should add?  ;-)

Stefano: as you well know, harsh comments don't irritate me.  People not
talking or working together does.  A prime example at the moment can be
found at http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/2001-11-21/xml-cocoon2.html
.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Crossreference info (was: WASP Lite on Apache?)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> My only intent was to say that the raw data is present.

My only intent was to say that raw data is not enough since Gump doesn't
solve the issue of "evolutionary dependencies" like Cocoon1->Cocoon2,
Tomcat3->Catalina or SOAP->Axis, etc.

And *this* is the information I was talking about, not project
inter-dependencies (which are developer's concerns, not user's).

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.