Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Mike Pogue <mp...@apache.org> on 2000/05/20 03:21:48 UTC

URGENT: FALSE VIRUS ALERT for Xerces-C and Xerces-P files

We have verified that the latest (5/18/00) anti-virus files from Symantec,
for use with Norton Anti-Virus, will generate false alarms on certain HTML
files in Xerces-C and Xerces-P.

You may get an erroneous virus alert, when you unpack the Xerces-C and/or
Xerces-P ZIP files.

Norton Anti-virus says that the "VBS.NewLove.A" virus is present, when
in fact it is not. Even minimal 20 line HTML files can be flagged in error
by Norton.  At least one other person has posted to the Symantec Anti Virus
bulletin board, detailing the same problem (see below for the URL).

To repeat:

	XERCES-C AND XERCES-P HTML FILES DO NOT CONTAIN THE VBS.NEWLOVE.A VIRUS.
	OTHER HTML FILES MAY ALSO BE AFFECTED.

We are trying to get hold of Symantec as soon as possible, to get them to
correct the anti-virus detection algorithm.

Here is the Symantec bulletin board post on this:

http://servicenews.symantec.com/cgi-bin/displayArticle.cgi?article=23019&group=symantec.support.winnt.nortonantivirus.general&mini_version=nav5%2Dnt&product=nav&product_name=Norton+AntiVirus&submit=Post&version_name=5.0+for+Windows+NT&

Mike

Re: URGENT: FALSE VIRUS ALERT for Xerces-C and Xerces-P files

Posted by Mike Pogue <mp...@apache.org>.
Here is the response I got from Symantec Technical Support this morning:

I apologize for this problem. Please retrieve the following document which
explains the situation.

Title: 'Norton AntiVirus falsely detects the VBS.NewLove.A worm in HTML files
after updating virus definitions to May 18, 2000'
Document ID: 2000051912133506
Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2000051912133506&src=w

New definitions are available as of 7:00am this morning which correct the
situation.

Let us know if you have further difficulties with the definitions or need
additional assistance.

Thank you for using Online Support.

Posted by Mike Pogue <mp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Pogue <mp...@apache.org>.