Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Matthew de Detrich <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID> on 2022/04/14 11:05:24 UTC

Re: [VOTE] KIP-797: Accept duplicate listener on port for IPv4/IPv6

Hi David,

Thanks for the response.

> 1. In the public interface section, could we spell out
the configurations that we are changing with this
KIP? The name does not change but the semantic is
so it is good to be clear.

Done

> 2. In the proposed changes section, I would rather
mention the configuration that we need to change the
validation for instead of saying "loosening the validation
on listenerListToEndPoints in kafka.utils.CoreUtils.scala"
as this is specific to the implementation.

This is already done with examples later down in the same section, or am I
missing something? Would you like me to just remove the
kafka.utils.CoreUtils.scala reference so its not implying an implementation
detail?

> 3. For my understanding, using the same port with two
different DNS entries would fail, right? e.g.
"PLAINTEXT://foo:9092,PLAINTEXT://bar:9092"

Correct, the idea is that it checks that the listener host is an IP address
and if it's not then it doesn't even consider it (i.e. it short circuits to
what is current behaviour). The proposed KIP changes only apply if
hostnames in the listener are IP address's otherwise no change is
observable.

Regards

Posted by Matthew Benedict de Detrich <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
Hi everyone,

Thanks for participating in the discussion and voting.
I'm closing this vote with three binding +1 and zero -1 votes.

Binding +1
- Luke Chen
- Tom Bently
- Mickael Maison