Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net> on 2004/08/17 14:48:49 UTC

Example pub with multiple doctypes

Hi!

I am trying to implement a custom doctype into the default publication using
the Howto in the Wiki.

The problem I am having is that all works fine except no special XSLT is
used to render my custom doctype.

The Howto says under 6.:

>> Add presentation pipelines in mypub/sitemap.xmap
>> if you need special pipelines for your doctype

If not sure *if* I need *special pipelines*. Or is a an XSLT a special
pipleline. But what would be special about it or in other words: Why would I
want to crate a new doctype if not because I want to use a different XSLT?

I have put a doctype matcher in, but I cannot see how this would affect the
XSLT being used????

Torsten

Re: Example pub with multiple doctypes

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Torsten Schlabach wrote:

 > If I have 5 doctypes:
 >
 > rss
 > linklist
 > gallery
 > docbook
 > xhtml
 >
 > the concept would be
 >
 > document -> rss2xhtml       --+
 > document -> linklist2xhtml  --+
 > document -> gallery2xhtml   --+---> page2xhtml.xsl -> Browser
 > document -> docbook2xhtml   --+
 > document -> xhtml2xhtml.xsl --+
 >
 > Thank you for helping me to understand this.

thank you for wikifying it!

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: Example pub with multiple doctypes

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Torsten Schlabach wrote:
>
>> Hi!

> Are you sure? I don't think so. The resource history shows
>         <map:transform src="xslt/{3}2xhtml.xsl">
> for quite a long time.

as you are pointing out, I didn't change that, but I changed the one for
the global XSLT

page2xhtml-{doctype}.xsl

whereas one can use xsl:import or xsl:include to include the "generic" one
page2xhtml-xhtml.xsl

or we could introduce a fallback solution within the sitemap.

Michi

> [...]
>
>> If I have 5 doctypes:
>>
>> rss
>> linklist
>> gallery
>> docbook
>> xhtml
>>
>> the concept would be
>>
>> document -> rss2xhtml       --+
>> document -> linklist2xhtml  --+
>> document -> gallery2xhtml   --+---> page2xhtml.xsl -> Browser
>> document -> docbook2xhtml   --+
>> document -> xhtml2xhtml.xsl --+
>

> Exactly. Would you mind adding this to the wiki?
>
> We should setup a page dedicated to the default publication to make
> sure that people do not consider this a Lenya feature.
>
> Thanks!
> -- Andreas

Michael Wechner

Re: Example pub with multiple doctypes

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>.
Hi!

>> until recently, the pipeline wasnt looking for {doctype}2xhtml.xsl but
>> always took xhtml2xsl. this has now changed with michis commits iirc.

Well, that was for sure one pitfall.

The other one is: If you want a new doctype that is very similar to xhtml
but might just use some different page layout or the like and change the
root element's namespace, then copy xhtml2xhtml.xsl to foo2xhtml.xsl, make
some minor changes and then expect to see them reflected, the problem is
that the xhtm2xhtml.xsl won't match anything in the document anymore as it
has the wrong namespace.

Very easy to understand once you found it.

The answer to my own question would than be:

Transforming a document to a page in the browser is always a two-step
process,

Step 1. using {doctype}2xhtml.xsl the document (which might be any arbritary
XML such as the link list, Docbook, a RSS feed, etc.) is turned into an
XHTML presentation.

Step 2. this XHTML is then processed to contain nagivation, menus and the
like using page2xhtml.

In ASCII art:

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>.
Hi again,

the first thing I learned from your example is that I obviously got the
SourceTypeAction wrong. Maybe I would write a better explaination of that
piece for the Cocoon doc. For example, I was trying to match on namespace as
well, but I thought it would be sufficient if *one* of the namespaces would
be the one. From your example I learned that it has to be the namespace of
the root element of the document.

Fine. Now I can see that my document has the right doctype. The next problem
will be to understand why it is not yet applying the right XSLT. My document
is recognized as doctype "foo" but rendered with page2xhtml. It even does
not matter if a foo2xhtml.xsl does exist or not.

Ok, as you example is working it seems to be up to me to compare and find
you. Our could you give me a little hint about what the difference between
xhtml2xhtml.xsl and page2xhtml is?

In a standard page in the default publication (doctype: xhtml) I would
usually think that this will be rendered using xhtml2xhtml.xsl as the naming
conventin suggests. But I know it is rendered using page2xhtml because this
is where I need to make changes if I want a different layout ...

Let's see who's faster: My in finding out our you explaining. (For the
benefit of the rest of the list.)

Torsten

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>.
>> I will shortly checkin an addtional doctype which should make things
>> much clearer (probably in a couple of hours)

That would be great. I just made the test and manually replaced the doctype
in the publication sitemap with foo and it did not change anything. Neither
my foo2xhtml template was used nor did it stop the xhtml pages from being
redered.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Torsten Schlabach wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I am trying to implement a custom doctype into the default publication using
>the Howto in the Wiki.
>
>The problem I am having is that all works fine except no special XSLT is
>used to render my custom doctype.
>
>The Howto says under 6.:
>

>>>Add presentation pipelines in mypub/sitemap.xmap
>>>if you need special pipelines for your doctype
>>>

>If not sure *if* I need *special pipelines*. Or is a an XSLT a special
>pipleline. But what would be special about it or in other words: Why would I
>want to crate a new doctype if not because I want to use a different XSLT?
>
>I have put a doctype matcher in, but I cannot see how this would affect the
>XSLT being used????
>
>Torsten

Michael Wechner