Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/17 16:57:11 UTC

[Poll] Naming style for acronyms

Hi folks,

As many people pointed out, MINA currently has somewhat inconsistent
naming style for acronyms (e.g IO vs Io and MDC vs Mdc).  I'm not sure
standardizing the naming style for acronyms are definitely required,
but I'd like to know what you think about it.

Personally I'd prefer all capital acronym because it's what acronym
is, and IOException is already a good example. :)

[ ]: All capital
[ ]: Only the initial letter should be capital

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP Key ID: 0x0255ECA6

Re: [Poll] Naming style for acronyms

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 9/18/07, Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK.. then let me find classes with all capital acronyms and change them.

Resolved in trunk:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA-440

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
OK.. then let me find classes with all capital acronyms and change them.

BTW I think we need to think about MinaByteBuffer again because there
might be a better name.  Let's handle this in a separate thread.

Cheers,
Trustin

http://gleamynode.net/

Posted by hezjing <he...@gmail.com>.

--

Hez

Re: [Poll] Naming style for acronyms

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.
Change mine to:

--
..Cheers
Mark

Re: [Poll] Naming style for acronyms

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.
[X]: All capital

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
> [X]: All capital

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [Poll] Naming style for acronyms

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.
I used to be of the opinion that acronyms should be all uppercase.  This
issue outlined by Dave bit me badly on a couple of projects and now I'm
of the opinion that only the initial letter should be capitalized in an
an acronym.  It just works out better that way with existing Java bean
frameworks.

[ ]: All capital
[X]: Only the initial letter should be capital

-Mike

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
I will change my vote :

[x]: Only the initial letter should be capital

(was capitalize all letters).

What convinced me was the obvious HttpProtocol example. It's simply
talk by itself !

Emmanuel

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [Poll] Naming style for acronyms

Posted by Cameron Taggart <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Wallace <rw...@thewallacepack.net>.
I agree.

Posted by "David M. Lloyd" <da...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Niklas Therning <ni...@trillian.se>.
> [ ]: All capital
> [X]: Only the initial letter should be capital

I think using all capitals reduces readability. Consider the methods
exportHTMLSource() and exportHtmlSource(). It's a lot easier and quicker
for the brain to make out the last word in the second method name. Or
maybe it's just my brain? ;-)

--
Niklas Therning
www.spamdrain.net

Re: [Poll] Naming style for acronyms

Posted by Rodrigo Madera <ro...@gmail.com>.

> [X]: All capital

Rodrigo

Re: [Poll] Naming style for acronyms

Posted by Michael Bauroth <mi...@falcom.de>.
> [ ]: All capital
> [X]: Only the initial letter should be capital

I don't like special cases and / or picking the SHIFT key longer than
for one letter ;)

Regards
Michael

Re: [Poll] Naming style for acronyms

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.

--
Ersin Er
http://www.ersin-er.name

Re: [Poll] Naming style for acronyms

Posted by Rodrigo Madera <ro...@gmail.com>.
I agree.

But this is something were nobody will  think the same indeed.

Rodrigo

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
About SUN (Sun ? :) inconstistant naming, just remember that as they
are porviding APIs (Apis ? :), it's impossinle for them to rename a
wrong class/metod as soon as it has made its way to the public.

Remember the Hashtable class ...

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [Poll] Naming style for acronyms

Posted by Michael Kearns <mi...@saaconsultants.com>.
Niklas Therning wrote:
> Michael Kearns wrote:
>
>>> [X]: All capital
>>> [ ]: Only the initial letter should be capital
>>>
>> It's English, and that's how english is written. It's how existing
>> classes within the Java API are written, and it's how the vast
>> majority of names were written before framework developers became lazy
>> when implementing autowiring of properties.
>>

> WellIAmQuiteSureEnglishIsNotNormallyWrittenUsingCamelCase. :-P

That's because whitespace is more important in full English prose ;)

> In fact Sun isn't as consistent in their naming as one may think:
>
> Java SE (5.0):
>
> java.beans.XMLDecoder
> java.net.HttpRetryException
> javax.net.ssl.HttpsURLConnection
> java.net.HttpURLConnection
> javax.print.attribute.standard.PrinterURI
> javax.print.attribute.standard.ReferenceUriSchemesSupported
> (these are my favourite ones ;-) )
> javax.sql.rowset.spi.XmlWriter.writeXML(...)
> javax.sql.rowset.spi.XmlReader.readXML(...)
>

> Java EE (1.4):
>
> javax.enterprise.deploy.model.J2eeApplicationObject
> javax.servlet.jsp.JspContext
> javax.servlet.jsp.JspWriter
>
> So they don't seem to be able to decide whether it should be Xml or XML,
> URI or Uri. They always seem to use HTML, Http and Jsp. :-)

Oh, I agree, even if in general it's the later extensions (javax.) that
break the naming conventions more, but that's down to Sun getting more
lax in enforcing naming standards - A good testcase is actually the

java.net.HttpURLConnection

This is a very tricky situation, because HTTPURLConnection is very
unreadable. However a far simpler solution is to make the class
URLConnection in an http sub-package (and before you start, package
standards of all lower case should definitely override Acronym
'upper-case-ness').

Because naming is so inconsistent across software, I think it's easier
to stick to Acronyms being consistent with their native language
structure, so it's obvious what they are. Their most recognised form is
their upper case presentation. If it's causing problems with the
classname, just think of a more appropriate classname. Most style guides
recommend avoiding Acronyms wherever possible for this very reason.

Whichever decision is taken, does it mean the entire source codebase is
going to be refactored to the new standard ? Consistency is far more
important than which approach is taken.

Michael.

Re: [Poll] Naming style for acronyms

Posted by Niklas Therning <ni...@trillian.se>.