Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by solr-user <so...@hotmail.com> on 2014/12/19 18:47:50 UTC

what does this "write.lock does not exist" mean??

I looked for messages on the following error but dont see anything in nabble.
Does anyone know what this error means and how to correct it??

SEVERE: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
/var/apache/my-solr-slave/solr/coreA/data/index/write.lock does not exist

I also occasionally see error messages about specific index files such as
this:

SEVERE: null:java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
/var/apache/my_solr-slave/solr/coreA/data/index/_md39_1.del does not exist

I am using Solr 4.0.0, with Java 1.7.0_11-b21 and tomcat 7.0.34, running on
a 12GB centos box; we have master/slave setup with multiple slave searchers
per indexer.

any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Re: what does this "write.lock does not exist" mean??

Posted by brian4 <bq...@gmail.com>.
Haven't seen this particular problem before, but it sounds like it could be a
problem with permissions or data size limits - it may be worth looking into.

The "write.lock" file is used when an index is being modified - it is how
lucene handles concurrent attempts to modify the index - a writer obtains
the lock on the index
(http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#What_is_the_purpose_of_write.lock_file.2C_when_is_it_used.2C_and_by_which_classes.3F).

Did you check if the file is actually there (in the data/index folder of
your solr core)?  If it is, then maybe the app has permission to create the
file, but the created file does not have permissions to read and/or modify
it, so the app thinks it exists but cannot access it?

If it's not there, maybe it is being deleted unexpectedly by some other
process/person, or alternatively, maybe it can't even create the file -
either it doesn't have permissions for that directory or there is no more
free space.

I've seen this issue several times before of running out of allowed disk
space preventing index files from being created. It's kind of like the index
is locked in its current state - or at least can't be updated all the way.
Are you able to add a large number of documents to the index and then
confirm that they have actually been added (search for them by ID for
instance)?