Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/31 21:17:46 UTC

[math] Question regarding use of CM - who is using it?

Hi,

Gilles and myself will give a presentation on CM at FOSDEM this weekend
and we would like to have a few more examples of how CM is currently used.

I know Phil asked a similar question a few weeks ago, was there any
feedback?

Thanks,

Thomas

Re: [math] Question regarding use of CM - who is using it?

Posted by Sébastien Brisard <se...@m4x.org>.
Hello,

2013/2/1 Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>

> Hi Guys,
>
> thanks for your feedback, much appreciated!
>
> Thomas
>
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Thomas Neidhart
> <th...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Gilles and myself will give a presentation on CM at FOSDEM this weekend
> > and we would like to have a few more examples of how CM is currently
> used.

I use CM to simulate the mechanical behaviour of composite materials. This
boils down to inverting rather large linear systems, for which I use the
iterative solvers a lot.

Also, assembly of the matrix of the system is a bit tricky : the
coefficients can be computed analytically, but the expressions are just
HUGE. So I implemented a small multivariate polynomial package, to carry
out the calculations analytically with Commons-Math. For this part of my
work, the most important ingredients were big fractions and the definitions
of Field and FieldElement. This way, the analytical precomputation turns
out to be way faster than with standard computer algebra systems (e.g.
Maxima).

For the record, I then used a library which was recommended on this mailing
list a few months ago (Codemodel) to automatically generate Java code from
these analytical expressions.

Best regards, and have a good time at the conference!

Sébastien

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I intend to use commons-math3 + commons-functor in nebular [1], a fuzzy API for Java. My idea is port Matlab Fuzzy Toolbox and R modules to Java, and then start using nebular in Jenkins for analysing build "fuzzy" status.

With commons-functor, users will be able to specify functions (e.g.: membership and [de]fuzzification). Some default membership functions will be packaged with nebular. These membership functions usually require simple math operations (power, sigma, max, min, etc), for which I'm using commons-math3 :-)

All the best

Bruno P. Kinoshita
http://kinoshita.eti.br
http://tupilabs.com

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,

Posted by Martin Grotle Soukup <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I use CM's linear algebra, matrix API and random generator functionality in my work for Oslo Clearing. I use it for risk management purposes. Other areas that may be of interest are basic functions from FastMath and classes from the optimization package.

Thanks for providing a great library!

Greetings,
Martin Grotle Soukup

Posted by Fran Lattanzio <sy...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

We use CM in an options analytics package. Some of the interesting usages are:
1. Implied vol calculations (a semi-fancy root find over function with
no closed forms).
2. Dividend projections.
3. Option greeks (partial derivatives of value function), both
automatic and numerical.
4. Non-linear model fitting (vol smile and surface models, for example).
5. Yield curve stripping and interpolation/extrapolation.
6. Non-parametric smoothing.

There are many more. CM is central to what the package does.

F.

Posted by Bruce A Johnson <jo...@umbc.edu>.
I use CM in my NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance)  data analysis package for Fourier transforms, fitting experimental data (optimization package), molecular structure refinement, statistics and more.

Bruce

http://www.onemoonscientific.com