Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ross Boylan <ro...@biostat.ucsf.edu> on 2006/07/03 22:02:27 UTC

Am I getting all the rules?

In reviewing the output of spamassassin -D I see lots of entries like
[23790] dbg: plugin: fixed relative
path: /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001003/updates_spamassassin_org/25_textcat.cf
[23790] dbg: config: using
"/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001003/updates_spamassassin_org/25_textcat.cf"
for included file

However, there is not a single reference to /usr/share anything, which
is where my original rules are.  By eye, the two directories seem to
have about the same files.  However, 65_debian.cf is not under /var/lib,
and does not appear in the log.  It is under /usr/share.

I have been using sa-update on a Debian system.

Originally I installed spamassassin and ran sa-update.  It failed with
some kind of checksum or security error. SA then appeared to be running
without any rules.  A subsequent sa-update fixed things, but it has me
wondering if I'm missing stuff.

Also, if things are basically OK, maybe I need to suggest the Debian
packager modify sa-update to include any Debian-specific files.
--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 514-8146
185 Berry St #5700                               ross@biostat.ucsf.edu

Re: Am I getting all the rules?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 01:02:27PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> [23790] dbg: config: using
> "/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001003/updates_spamassassin_org/25_textcat.cf"
> for included file
>
> However, there is not a single reference to /usr/share anything, which
> is where my original rules are.

Yes, you're using sa-update which will cause the original rules dir to be
ignored.

> However, 65_debian.cf is not under /var/lib,
> and does not appear in the log.  It is under /usr/share.

That's not an officially distributed file, so it's not going to be
included in the official updates. (non-standard files shouldn't go into
the /usr/share/spamassassin directory)

> Originally I installed spamassassin and ran sa-update.  It failed with
> some kind of checksum or security error. SA then appeared to be running
> without any rules.  A subsequent sa-update fixed things, but it has me
> wondering if I'm missing stuff.

Yeah, there's a bug where if the first time running sa-update fails,
spamassassin sees an empty rule directory and that causes problems.
As long as a subsequent run completes successfully, you should be ok
from then on.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
Either he's dead or my watch has stopped.