Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Laurent Eskenazi <la...@antistatic.fr> on 2000/11/08 12:50:36 UTC

[C2] XObject status

Hi!

I'm testing Cocoon2 to see if we can start our next project with it. I am
looking for the XObject interface we've been using in C1, but I don't see it
in C2. Can anybody tell me what are the plans for XObject ? Will this be
part of C2, or is / will it be replaced by something else ? Any time frame ?

Thanks

Laurent

Laurent Eskenazi - Antistatic - www.antistatic.fr

Address:  73 Avenue Ziem, 06800 Cagnes sur Mer, France
Desk Phone: +33 4 93 14 68 85
Cell Phone: +33 6 10 77 81 20
E-mail: laurent.eskenazi@antistatic.fr

Re: [C2] XObject status

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
I had exactly the same problem just now for the same reason !

If I remember, XObject has been mentioned several times on this list as
the compatibility bridge between C1 and C2 that should be used in
logicsheet-backing classes. And we used it in our taglibs to ease the
transition...

But I wonder if it can be ported easily in C2 because of the way
<xsp:expr> is translated into Java code. In C1, it called
XSPPage.xspExpr(Object, Document) which was checking it's parameter
class to decide what to do with it (calling toDOM on an XObject). But in
C2, <xsp:expr> is translated in String.valueOf({content}), which is way
quicker but less flexible.

So the question is more generally : What is the strategy to allow a
smooth C1/C2 transition ?

-Sylvain