Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by harish suvarna <hs...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/05 01:48:55 UTC

Stanbol timeout

Rupert,
In an earlier email you answered about maxEnahancementJobwaitTime.

1. I have an earlier version of Stanbol. This has the EventJobManagerImpl
in components.But the configuration UI in OSGI does not have the
maxEnahancementJobWaitTime. Is there another place to set this value in
earlier version of Stanbol (around svn rev 1396614 October 2012).

2. What exactly is this property maxEnahancementJobWaitTime? Does it say
that with in 60 secs of time, Stanbol getsback to the user who made restful
request for enahncements eitherway with/without results?

-harish

Hi

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Jairo Sarabia
<ja...@appstylus.com> wrote:
> Hi Rupert,
>
> thank you very much!
> It seems you are right.
> Could you tell me which is the property in Felix Web Console to set timeout?

As mentioned in the earlier mail

>> >  To change the timeout change value of property
>> > 'stanbol.maxEnhancementJobWaitTime' for the service class

Search in the Felix Webconsole Component tag for

    org.apache.stanbol.enhancer.jobmanager.event.impl.EventJobManagerImpl

press the configuration button and than change the "Job timeout (ms)"
(stanbol.maxEnhancementJobWaitTime) parameter

best
Rupert

--
Thanks
Harish

Re: Stanbol timeout

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 1:48 AM, harish suvarna <hs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rupert,
> In an earlier email you answered about maxEnahancementJobwaitTime.
>
> 1. I have an earlier version of Stanbol. This has the EventJobManagerImpl
> in components.But the configuration UI in OSGI does not have the
> maxEnahancementJobWaitTime. Is there another place to set this value in
> earlier version of Stanbol (around svn rev 1396614 October 2012).

The possibility to configure the timeout was added with revision
1410475. Prior to that there was no timeout of the execution. So users
ran into the configured HTTP timeout (see [1]
'org.apache.felix.http.timeout' when running the standalone jar file
otherwise the configuration of the used Servlet container applies).

> 2. What exactly is this property maxEnahancementJobWaitTime? Does it say
> that with in 60 secs of time, Stanbol getsback to the user who made restful
> request for enahncements eitherway with/without results?

In case of an execution timeout an ChainException is thrown. Users
will get a 500 with a textual description about the state of the
execution at the time of the timeout. Prior to 1410475 (or if the
configured maxEnahancementJobwaitTime > the HTTP timeout) users will
get an HTTP timeout.

Also note that version 1396614 has two bugs that can cause problems
with concurrent requests:

1. Stream closed Exceptions if running Stanbol in Tomcat (STANBOL-898)
2. Timeout Exceptions because of a concurrency bug in the SolrYard
implementation (STANBOL-669)

best
Rupert

[1] http://felix.apache.org/documentation/subprojects/apache-felix-http-service.html