Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Sandor Spruit <sa...@cs.uu.nl> on 2004/01/21 11:24:20 UTC

Sitemap viewer, using the sitemap in a creative way - educational context

[Context: I'm working on a university lab set-up for content management
issues, using Cocoon to demonstrate stuff about topic maps, ontologies]

Folks,

Is there some way to directly access the sitemap from within the Java
code I attach to Cocoon? I'd like to query the sitemap to find out how
some given URL will be processed, i.e. what components are used.

Cocoon is an all-XML, self-describing system. The inner workings of the
software can be understood by looking at the XML-information inside it.
If I could access and "publish" the structure of the sitemap, students
could browse it and see how their stuff gets processed. I'd love to have
a self-explaining

Any ideas?
Sandor

--
Information and Computing Sciences, Utrecht University
Contact information, see: http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/sandor/

Re: Sitemap viewer, using the sitemap in a creative way - educational context

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Stephen Winnall dijo:
> It would be nice to have a visual editor for the sitemap to edit, view
> and debug
> it. I've been looking for such a beast for over a year, but the best I
> have found
> is Pollo. Pollo is great in its own way, but is text-based. I like
> pictures and
> could imagine something like a UML editor for the sitemap, but I don't
> have the
> time or the skills to "knock it up". It might make an interesting
> semester project
> for your students though...

Hi:

There is a interesting graphical notation that Stefano presented at
Gent2003. Maybe this could be the base to write the sitemap in a graphical
way and then generate the sitemap.xmap:

http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=GT2003Stefano

the presentation is at:

http://apache.mirrors.hoobly.com/cocoon/events/gt2003/

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Sitemap viewer, using the sitemap in a creative way - educational context

Posted by Stephen Winnall <st...@winnall.ch>.
It would be nice to have a visual editor for the sitemap to edit, view
and debug
it. I've been looking for such a beast for over a year, but the best I
have found
is Pollo. Pollo is great in its own way, but is text-based. I like
pictures and
could imagine something like a UML editor for the sitemap, but I don't
have the
time or the skills to "knock it up". It might make an interesting
semester project
for your students though...

Steve

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
In recent Cocoon distributions there is a thing exactly called "sitemap
viewer". The first version was delivered with Cocoon 2.1.3, but it might
be better to use the version from CVS as some issues were added or
fixed. You can find it in the scratchpad block samples:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon-2.1/src/blocks/scratchpad/samples/sitemap-viewer/

Joerg