Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by purpureleaf <pu...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/09 11:37:44 UTC

Fetcher get slower and slower in one run of crawling

Hi, I have worked with nutch for sometime. One thing I am always curious is
when crawling, fetcher's speed will get slower and slower, no matter what
configuration I use.
My last test get this: ( just one site to make the problem more simple)

OS : winxp
java : 1.6.0.2
nutch: 0.9
cpu : AMD 1800
mem : 1G
network : 3m adsl

site : wikipedia.org
threads per site :30
server.delay : 0.5

It starts about 6page/s, but reduce to 4 in some minutes, then get slower
and slower. I have run it for 8 hours, just 2page/s left, and it was till
slowing down.
But if I stop it and start one other, it returns full speed (then slows down
again). I am ok with 2 pages/s for one site, but I do hope it will keep that
speed.

I found there are some guys in this list has the same problem. But I can't
find an answer.
If nutch designed to work this way?

Thanks!

Re: Fetcher get slower and slower in one run of crawling

Posted by purpureleaf <pu...@gmail.com>.
just tested it again :(

With 2 threads, 1 second delay and 0.5s both got about 1.3page/s, but it was
not dropping.

Maybe I will try the download. But now I really wander why Google can index
wikipedia? Acctually many wikipedia sites has the same ip. Google has
indexed 120m pages of it. It much has done something.

Posted by Martin Kuen <ma...@gmail.com>.
hi,

Posted by purpureleaf <pu...@gmail.com>.
Hi, sounds that it is the cause, but I just tested it again. With
server.delay = 1s doesn't result in 1page/s, almost the same speed.
confused:(
I really didn't try to hammer wikipedia, just want to find a site with
enough pages to test.

So with more than 12M pages of wikipedia, I guess it is almost impossible to
crawl wikipedia on line.
How does google do this?

Posted by purpureleaf <pu...@gmail.com>.
Oh? emm this makes sense.
I thought is means every thread will wait for 0.5s after another thread.
But at the beginning, it is much higher than 2page/s, so the fetcher work
this way so that the more pages it get, it will more close to 2page/s?

Posted by Martin Kuen <ma...@gmail.com>.
hi there,

the property "server.delay" is the delay for one site (e.g. wikipedia). So,
if you have a delay of 0.5 you'll fetch 2 pages per second.

In my opinion there is something about the fetcher's code that doesn't makes
it obey this rule in the very beginning . . . probarbly at start-up 30
threads start immediatly without caring about this setting, which could
cause a high pages/sec value in the beginning . . . but then the rule is
applied correctly and this averaged-value (pages/sec) becomes corrected in a

Posted by purpureleaf <pu...@gmail.com>.
Hi, thanks for your reply

Posted by Dennis Kubes <ku...@apache.org>.

Posted by purpureleaf <pu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your reply
JDK's gc? but it wasn't use much memory.

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.