Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org> on 2015/07/22 23:50:05 UTC

[lang] StrSubstitutor - a dollar sign before a variable

Hi there,

I tried to use the following, expecting "...ick brown fox paid $20.00
to jump over the la…":

    // In org.apache.commons.lang3.text.StrSubstitutorTest.java locally
    // after cloning https://github.com/woonsan/commons-lang.
    @Test
    public void testReplaceEscapingDollarSign() {
        values.put("amount", "20.00");
        doTestReplace("The quick brown fox paid $20.00 to jump over
the lazy dog.",
                      "The ${animal} paid $$${amount} to jump over the
${target}.", true);
    }

(I put double dollar signs like $$${amount} because $ is the default
escape character.)

But, the result was:"...ick brown fox paid $${amount} to jump over the la…".

Is it a bug or did I miss something?

Regards,

Woonsan

Re: [lang] StrSubstitutor - a dollar sign before a variable

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 4:21 AM, Jörg Schaible
<jo...@swisspost.com> wrote:
> Hi Woonsan,
>
> Woonsan Ko wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I tried to use the following, expecting "...ick brown fox paid $20.00
>> to jump over the la…":
>>
>>     // In org.apache.commons.lang3.text.StrSubstitutorTest.java locally
>>     // after cloning https://github.com/woonsan/commons-lang.
>>     @Test
>>     public void testReplaceEscapingDollarSign() {
>>         values.put("amount", "20.00");
>>         doTestReplace("The quick brown fox paid $20.00 to jump over
>> the lazy dog.",
>>                       "The ${animal} paid $$${amount} to jump over the
>> ${target}.", true);
>>     }
>>
>> (I put double dollar signs like $$${amount} because $ is the default
>> escape character.)
>>
>> But, the result was:"...ick brown fox paid $${amount} to jump over the
>> la…".
>>
>> Is it a bug or did I miss something?
>
> I'd call it a bug. You escaped the first dollar sign properly.

I think so, too. I've just filed a bug:
- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-1158

Cheers,

Woonsan

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@swisspost.com>.
Hi Woonsan,

Posted by Anthony Brice <an...@lateachiever.com>.
No problem! I'm happy to have helped. Happy substituting!

Cheers,
Anthony Brice

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Anthony Brice <an...@lateachiever.com>.