Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by mufc_fan <ra...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/30 10:02:03 UTC

Hadoop namenode high availability

Hai...In name node high availability, from documentation, it  states that
"each of the NameNode machines in the cluster maintains a persistent session
in ZooKeeper. If the machine crashes, the ZooKeeper session will expire,
notifying the other NameNode that a failover should be triggered"

According to my knowledge "if namenode creates an ephemeral node in
zookeeper, when the machine crashes the node gets deleted which triggers the
watch event so that standby name node creates new ephemeral seesion with
zookeeper and becomes new namenode".

what my doubt is from documentation if namenode maintains an persistent
session and the created node will not be deleted and how will it trigger
standby namenode"

can any one share your knowledge

Re: Hadoop namenode high availability

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>.
I'm not sure what they are trying to say with "persistent" session. A
session in zookeeper has a timeout associated with it. If the server
doesn't hear from the client within the timeout period the session is
expired, and all ephemeral nodes associated with the session are
deleted. This is what triggers the failover. The text you posted seems
to be confusing the concepts of session and ephemeral node.

-Ivan