Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Michael Nachbaur <MN...@rei.com> on 2000/07/25 22:14:32 UTC

Perl as DSO...whats wrong with it, specifically?

I'm working with IBM (sorry!  Its not my choice!) to try to get mod_perl compiled into their custom version of Apache, and their techs want to know why I can't run mod_perl as a DSO.  So, I need to know, whats specifically wrong with it?  Like, what are the repurcussions of it?  This is going to be run under a lot of load as well.

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

--man
Michael A. Nachbaur (KE6WIA)
mnachba(at)rei(dot)com
mike(at)nachbaur(dot)com
http://www.nachbaur.com
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Re: Perl as DSO...whats wrong with it, specifically?

Posted by Jens-Uwe Mager <ju...@helios.de>.
On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 01:14:32PM -0700, Michael Nachbaur wrote:

> I'm working with IBM (sorry!  Its not my choice!) to try to get
> mod_perl compiled into their custom version of Apache, and their techs
> want to know why I can't run mod_perl as a DSO.  So, I need to know,
> whats specifically wrong with it?  Like, what are the repurcussions of
> it?  This is going to be run under a lot of load as well.

I am running mod_perl as a DSO on AIX and it works fine with the
exception of a memory leak on each apachectl restart. As a workaround I
use a real stop every few weeks to get the server memory footprint back
to normal.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH
Steinriede 3
30827 Garbsen
Germany

Phone:		+49 5131 709320
FAX:		+49 5131 709325
Internet:	jum@helios.de

Re: Perl as DSO...whats wrong with it, specifically?

Posted by Vivek Khera <kh...@kciLink.com>.

MN> I'm working with IBM (sorry!  Its not my choice!) to try to get
MN> mod_perl compiled into their custom version of Apache, and their
MN> techs want to know why I can't run mod_perl as a DSO.  So, I need
MN> to know, whats specifically wrong with it?  Like, what are the
MN> repurcussions of it?  This is going to be run under a lot of load
MN> as well.  Thanks for your feedback in advance.

As long as you have the latest version of mod_perl (probably from CVS)
you're ok I think.  I have no trouble with it on a BSD/OS system
whatsoever.

Others may disagree...

I think it also depends on your OS.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-301-545-6996
GPG & MIME spoken here            http://www.khera.org/~vivek/

Re: Perl as DSO...whats wrong with it, specifically?

Posted by Daniel Jacobowitz <dr...@false.org>.
On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 01:14:32PM -0700, Michael Nachbaur wrote:
> I'm working with IBM (sorry!  Its not my choice!) to try to get
> mod_perl compiled into their custom version of Apache, and their
> techs want to know why I can't run mod_perl as a DSO.  So, I need to
> know, whats specifically wrong with it?  Like, what are the
> repurcussions of it?  This is going to be run under a lot of load as
> well.
>
> Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Well, it works now in most cases, if you use the current version.  It's
not necessarily a good idea if you're dealing with x86 (it has to be
built PIC, and thus increases register pressure).  But other than the
slight PIC slowdown it hasn't caused problems in a few months.

Dan

RE: Perl as DSO...whats wrong with it, specifically?

Posted by jb...@team-linux.com.
I run mod_perl as a DSO without a problem. Just don't try to mix it with php as
a DSO.

On 25-Jul-2000 Michael Nachbaur wrote:
> I'm working with IBM (sorry!  Its not my choice!) to try to get mod_perl
> compiled into their custom version of Apache, and their techs want to know
> why I can't run mod_perl as a DSO.  So, I need to know, whats specifically
> wrong with it?  Like, what are the repurcussions of it?  This is going to be
> run under a lot of load as well.
>
> Thanks for your feedback in advance.
>
> --man
> Michael A. Nachbaur (KE6WIA)
> mnachba(at)rei(dot)com
> mike(at)nachbaur(dot)com
> http://www.nachbaur.com
> "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
> sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

--
Jason Bodnar + jbodnar@team-linux.com + Team Linux

Uh, so.  Let's have a conversation.  Uh, I think we'll find that we have
very little in common.

                -- Homer Simpson
                   The Last Temptation of Homer

Re: Perl as DSO...whats wrong with it, specifically?

Posted by clayton cottingham aka drfrog <dr...@smartt.com>.
ive personally not had any probs with mod_perl as a dso

Posted by Jens-Uwe Mager <ju...@helios.de>.
On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 07:37:47PM -0500, John Marquart wrote:

> Using the following config. line:
>
> perl Makefile.PL EVERYTHING=1 USE_APACI=1 APACI_ARGS='--enable-shared=perl'
>
> Everything builds up to this point

> ===> src/modules/standard
> Target "all" is up to date.
> <=== src/modules/standard
> ===> src/modules/perl
>         rm -f libperl.so
>         ld -bhalt:4 -bM:SRE
> -bI:/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/aix/CORE/perl.exp -
> bE:.exp -b noentry -lc -L/usr/local/lib -bI:/httpd.exp -o libperl.so
> mod_perl.lo
>  perlxsi.lo perl_config.lo perl_util.lo perlio.lo mod_perl_opmask.lo
> Apache.lo
> Constants.lo ModuleConfig.lo Log.lo URI.lo Util.lo Connection.lo Server.lo
> File.
> lo Table.lo
> ld: 0706-004 Cannot find or read export file: .exp
>         ld:accessx(): A file or directory in the path name does not exist.

Oops, the build process appears to be rather broken in the AIX case
without APXS, this needs fixing. Does anybody know why there are so many
ways to build mod_perl? And what is actually the most important way to
build it? I always assumed the apxs way by touching the least of Apache
is to be preferred.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH
Steinriede 3
30827 Garbsen
Germany

Phone:		+49 5131 709320
FAX:		+49 5131 709325
Internet:	jum@helios.de

Re: Perl as DSO...whats wrong with it, specifically?

Posted by Jens-Uwe Mager <ju...@helios.de>.
On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 11:57:56PM +0200, Jens-Uwe Mager wrote:
> >From the last post from you I have you appeared to use mod_perl-1.22.
> What exactly have you been using?

Oops - I did misread, you said you are using 1.24.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH
Steinriede 3
30827 Garbsen
Germany

Phone:		+49 5131 709320
FAX:		+49 5131 709325
Internet:	jum@helios.de

Re: Perl as DSO...whats wrong with it, specifically?

Posted by John Marquart <jo...@indiana.edu>.
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Jens-Uwe Mager wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 04:04:12PM -0500, John Marquart wrote:
> > In general - all of the previous threads on this topic have either gone
> > off-list or were never resolved.
>
> Sorry, I dropped your last post onto the floor somehow. I will answer in
> a seperate post about these.
Many thanks - very much appreciated.

> > even w/ these patches I was unable to build it successfully.  I tried to
> > use perl 5.6 as well - but ran into more problems (unrelated?) then I had
> > w/ 5.00503.
>
> That is strange - what kind of errors do you get?

Using the following config. line:

perl Makefile.PL EVERYTHING=1 USE_APACI=1 APACI_ARGS='--enable-shared=perl'

Everything builds up to this point

===> src/modules/standard
Target "all" is up to date.
<=== src/modules/standard
===> src/modules/perl
        rm -f libperl.so
        ld -bhalt:4 -bM:SRE
-bI:/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/aix/CORE/perl.exp -
bE:.exp -b noentry -lc -L/usr/local/lib -bI:/httpd.exp -o libperl.so
mod_perl.lo
 perlxsi.lo perl_config.lo perl_util.lo perlio.lo mod_perl_opmask.lo
Apache.lo
Constants.lo ModuleConfig.lo Log.lo URI.lo Util.lo Connection.lo Server.lo
File.
lo Table.lo
ld: 0706-004 Cannot find or read export file: .exp
        ld:accessx(): A file or directory in the path name does not exist.

Stop.

Stop.

Stop.

Stop.

Stop.

Stop.

Since the problem appears the improper definition of the export file (I
believe mod_perl.exp) I tried to link it by hand - but I don't understand
the .lo files.  I also tried changing -bE:$(BASEEXT).exp to
-bE:mod_perl.exp.   Neither of these helped.

I haven't messed w/ apxs much yet - but will try it when i have time.  (my
mod_perl problems have actually taken back seat at the moment)

thanks for all your alls help!
-jamie

John "Jamie" Marquart		|     This message posted 100% MS free.
Digital Library SysAdmin	|  Work: 812-856-5174   Pager: 812-334-6018
Indiana University Libraries	|  ICQ: 1131494	 	D'net Team:  6265

Re: Perl as DSO...whats wrong with it, specifically?

Posted by Jens-Uwe Mager <ju...@helios.de>.

Posted by John Marquart <jo...@indiana.edu>.
In general - all of the previous threads on this topic have either gone
off-list or were never resolved.

I spent several weeks trying various configurations w/ mod_perl-1.24 &
apache 1.3.12 on an AIX 4.3.3 box running perl 5.00503 and using xlc as my
compiler.

I was never able to successfully compile a DSO mod_perl.

However, most of the versions have a patch that needs to be applied to the
dynamic loader code in perl.  perl needs then to be recompiled before
building mod_perl.

even w/ these patches I was unable to build it successfully.  I tried to
use perl 5.6 as well - but ran into more problems (unrelated?) then I had
w/ 5.00503.

I wish I could offer you some secret key - but for me it has been a
constant source of frustration.
-john

Posted by blue <bl...@calico.gator.net>.