Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by financeturd financeturd <fi...@yahoo.com> on 2012/05/13 10:15:56 UTC

Moving files from JBoss server to HDFS

Hello,

We have a large number of
custom-generated files (not just web logs) that we need to move from our JBoss servers to HDFS.  Our first implementation ran a cron job every 5 minutes to move our files from the "output" directory to HDFS.

Is this recommended?  We are being told by our IT team that our JBoss servers should not have access to HDFS for security reasons.  The files must be "sucked" to HDFS by other servers that do not accept traffic
from the outside.  In essence, they are asking for a layer of
indirection.  Instead of:
{JBoss server} --> {HDFS}
it's being requested that it look like:
{Separate server} <-- {JBoss server}
and then
{Separate server} --> HDFS

While I understand in principle
what is being said, the security of having processes on JBoss servers
writing files to HDFS doesn't seem any worse than having JBoss servers
access a central database, which they do.

Can anyone comment on what a
recommended approach would be?  Should our JBoss servers push their data to HDFS or should the data be pulled by another server and then placed
into HDFS?

Thank you!
FT