Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com> on 2013/05/27 07:55:30 UTC

Question about Review Request

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to submit code for the first time.

I'm following the instructions here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Review+Board+Guidelines

When it says to upload my diff, I assume it means my .patch file. Is that
correct?

I generate such a file this way:

git format-patch upstream/master --stdout > solidfire_plugin.patch

It works just fine, but when I try to upload it by clicking on the Create
Review Request button, I get the following error:

The file
'plugins/hypervisors/xen/src/com/cloud/hypervisor/xen/resource/CitrixResourceBase.java'
(r5f45a62) could not be found in the repository
*
*
I'm not sure why it says this because this file is a part of the current
repository.

Would someone be able to explain what I might be doing wrong here?

I did update from the ACS repo and merge its master (my upstream/master)
into my solidfire_plugin branch recently. After doing this, I committed the
changes and made my .patch file.

Thanks!

--
*Mike Tutkowski*
e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com

Re: Question about Review Request

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
I was going to use his attachment tomorrow, to figure out what's wrong
with review board. Agreed that its a preference!

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Hi John,

Here is a copy/paste of part of the e-mail chain.

Thanks!

[...]

Sebastien Goasguen
1:45 AM (17 hours ago)
to dev
On May 27, 2013, at 1:55 AM, Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to submit code for the first time.
>
> I'm following the instructions here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Review+Board+Guidelines

> When it says to upload my diff, I assume it means my .patch file. Is that
> correct?
>
> I generate such a file this way:
>
> git format-patch upstream/master --stdout > solidfire_plugin.patch

That should work. I usually just do:
git format-patch master --stdout > my.patch

> It works just fine, but when I try to upload it by clicking on the Create
> Review Request button, I get the following error:
>
> The file

'plugins/hypervisors/xen/src/com/cloud/hypervisor/xen/resource/CitrixResourceBase.java'
> (r5f45a62) could not be found in the repository
> *
> *

Create a fresh branch out of your local master and try to see if your patch
applies cleanly:
git --check apply ( I think).

Maybe it's a relative path issue (just a wild guess).

> I'm not sure why it says this because this file is a part of the current
> repository.
>
> Would someone be able to explain what I might be doing wrong here?
>
> I did update from the ACS repo and merge its master (my upstream/master)
> into my solidfire_plugin branch recently. After doing this, I committed
the
> changes and made my .patch file.

Did you check your patch making sure that all changed files were staged ?

I always do a git status -s , it's very helpful.

> Thanks!
>
> --
> *Mike Tutkowski*
> e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com
> o: 303.746.7302
> Advancing the way the world uses the
> *™*
Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>
5:36 PM (1 hour ago)
to dev
[...]

5:45 PM (1 hour ago)
to dev

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
Mike,

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Thanks a lot, Chip! That did the trick.

I've definitely been picking up quite a bit about Git these past few days.
:)

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Thanks, Chip!

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Thanks, Chip!

I didn't know that would be a problem.

If you know off hand, can you tell me how to do a squash?

Thanks again!

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.