Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Chris Chew <ed...@yahoo.com> on 2002/05/21 23:14:16 UTC

Who Uses Intake?

How many people out there use Intake?  Does anyone use
another form processor, be it a homegrown solution or
some "official" project?

I am working on my first app, and really seem to be
struggling with Intake.  I have made it past
actions/screens, the decoupled-torque issues, VML and
Velocity contexts, and figured out the Turbine
Security approach...but Intake is just not coming
clear.  I am trying to figure out if I am missing
something obvious, or if people just don't use it very
often.

Thanks for the help,

Chris

Re: Who Uses Intake?

Posted by "Dan K." <da...@YorkU.CA>.
Hi Chris,

I'm using intake.  Using it wherever I need form validation.  I also use
ParameterParser for some odd stuff that doesn't fit nicely into intake's
model such as radio buttons and check boxes.  Actually I got those to be
auto prepopulated too. :)

Regards,
Dan

RE: Who Uses Intake?

Posted by "Chris K. Chew" <ch...@fenetics.com>.
Hi Alex.

There is a nice macro example in the turbine-user archives for thread
"Intake with Dates and booleans".  The message can be found at:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=turbine-user&m=100434715718588&w=2

Make your peer get/set methods return/take booleans.  I had to convert the
boolean into Integers (1 or 0) in the get/set methods for storage purposes.

The community is right -- intake is well worth struggling with!

Thanks,

Chris

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@OWAL.co.uk>.

Re: Who Uses Intake?

Posted by Rodney Schneider <rl...@arcalink.com>.
Hi Chris!

I use Intake for all my form validation and it works great...  the
documentation needs quite a lot of work though.  If you would be willing to
improve the Intake documentation as you solve your problems, I am sure many
people would appreciate it.

There is a short HOWTO here:

http://www.yorku.ca/dkha/turbine/intake/

> 1) Mapping a form to the TurbineUser object.  Or do I
> map it to TurbineUserPeer or User?  Or do I have to
> extend it to implement Retrievable?

Why do you want to map a form to the TurbineUser object?  Sorry for the
question without an answer, but I have never needed to do that...

> 2) $intake.Group1.getDisplayName() doesn't work.
> $intake.Group1.getKey() does work and
> $intake.Group1.getClass() returns
> "org.apache.turbine.services.intake.model.StringField",
> so I am pretty sure that the Field object is created.

I am not sure what you are trying to do here...  could you elaborate?

> 3) What do I have to do to my torque-generated
> business classes in order for them to be mapable by
> Intake?

Your torque-generated business objects already implement Retrievable so you
don't have to do anything.

If you are more specific with your questions, I might be able to help you.

Regards,

-- Rodney

Re: intake howto (was Re: Who Uses Intake?)

Posted by "Dan K." <da...@YorkU.CA>.
Hi Naga,

Velocity.  Why.. what's up?  (fyi, the doc was written from doing it the
velocity'sand non-torque way)

Regards,
Dan

Posted by Naga Pappireddi <na...@jalvamedia.com>.
Dan,

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.
On Friday, May 31, 2002, at 07:11  PM, Dan K. wrote:

> Just a quick question, where is the spec
> for doc?

I think this is what you're looking for.
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/jakarta-site2.html

-Eric

Re: intake howto (was Re: Who Uses Intake?)

Posted by "Dan K." <da...@YorkU.CA>.
On Fri, 31 May 2002, Eric Dobbs wrote:

> On Friday, May 31, 2002, at 12:15  PM, Dan K. wrote:
>
> > I have formatted the doc as an xdoc (I hope, cuz I followed the format
> > of
> > an existing one from somewhere in jakarta), and made a few corrections.
> > The doc is attached and hopefully it doesn't contain errors.  Please let
> > me know how I can get to it once you've added it to the doc base.
> > Thanks.
>
> Hi Dan.
> I've just committed it to CVS.  There are several ways to get to it.
>
> effective immediately:
> % cd jakarta-turbine-2
> % cvs -q update
> % emacs xdocs/howto/intake-howto.xml
>
> Someone else with more permissions will have to republish the
> turbine 2 site.  As soon as that happens the following links should
> appear:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2/howto/intake-howto.html
>
> If you want to browse to it, start here:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/
> click: 'turbine 2.x'
> click: 'howtos'
> click: 'Intake Howto'

Ah cool thx.

> In anticipation of the flood of feedback you will no doubt receive,
> feel free to submit patches to the xdoc ('diff -u', please) as you
> make changes 8^).

Oh no!! hehehe, of course. :)  Just a quick question, where is the spec
for doc?

Regards,
Dan

Re: intake howto (was Re: Who Uses Intake?)

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.

Posted by "Dan K." <da...@YorkU.CA>.

Posted by "Dan K." <da...@YorkU.CA>.
On Fri, 24 May 2002, Eric Dobbs wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 22, 2002, at 09:16  AM, Dan K. wrote:
>
> > http://www.yorku.ca/dkha/turbine/intake/
> >
> > (Turbine devs: By the way, I'd like to contribute that howto to
> > Turbine's
> > doc base if people think it's useful.)
>
> I'll be happy to commit it if you'll format it as an xdoc.
> -Eric

Alright. :)

Dan

intake howto (was Re: Who Uses Intake?)

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.

Re: Who Uses Intake?

Posted by "Dan K." <da...@YorkU.CA>.
Hi Chris,

I'll take a stab at answering your questions...see below.

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Chris Chew wrote:

> Dan, thanks for the offer to help.
>
> I am having trouble:
>
> 1) Mapping a form to the TurbineUser object.  Or do I
> map it to TurbineUserPeer or User?  Or do I have to
> extend it to implement Retrievable?

You can map it to any object as long as the object implements the
Retrievable interface.  The point of the map though is to:
1. have data prepopulated into the form fields
2. validate the data on form submission

I guess the reason you'd like to map it to a "User" object is because
you'd like the user to be able to fill in their information?
Anyway, those 3 classes you mentioned don't implement Retrievable so if
want to map things then you'll have to extend them.  Whichever one you
should map it to depends on what you want to do (You'd want to map it to
an object that houses your data.  User is just an interface so it's no
good.  TurbineUserPeer is for backend stuff so it doesn't seem good
either.  So maybe TurbineUser...as in, first extend TurbineUser then map,
see the how-to on this on the Turbine website for extending TurbineUser).

> 2) $intake.Group1.getDisplayName() doesn't work.
> $intake.Group1.getKey() does work and
> $intake.Group1.getClass() returns
> "org.apache.turbine.services.intake.model.StringField",
> so I am pretty sure that the Field object is created.

Hmm..this is a bit hard to troubleshoot without the code but before you
send us it perhaps you can try going through the steps I outlined in my
howto, as mentioned in Rodney's response.
http://www.yorku.ca/dkha/turbine/intake/

(Turbine devs: By the way, I'd like to contribute that howto to Turbine's
doc base if people think it's useful.)

> 3) What do I have to do to my torque-generated business classes in order
> for them to be mapable by Intake? Thanks,

I have not worked with Torque yet as our business objects come from
elsewhere.  But I think Rodney's right in that you don't really need to do
anything except use it in your intake.xml, templates, and Action classes.

I hope this helps.  I am still learning bits of Turbine too. :)

Re: Who Uses Intake?

Posted by Chris Chew <ed...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Who Uses Intake?

Posted by "Dan K." <da...@YorkU.CA>.