Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Kenneth Stephen <ma...@gmail.com> on 2004/12/29 23:59:47 UTC

[Net]Commons depends on 1.4 JRE as of v1.3.0

Hi,

    On the jakarta site, a statement is made that Commons Net is
compatible with the 1.2 Java platform. However, as of v1.3.0, the
sendCommand(String, String) method in org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTP
has the following snippet of code in it :

        catch (SocketException e)
        {
            if (!isConnected() || _socket_ == null || !_socket_.isConnected())
            {
                throw new FTPConnectionClosedException("Connection
unexpectedly closed.");
            }
            else
            {
                throw e;
            }
        }

    The problem is that _socket_ is an instance of java.net.Socket and
this class does not have an isConnected() method until the 1.4 Java
level. Hence this code will no longer compile with the 1.3 JDK. Is
there any plan to fix this, or is the backward compatibility statement
no longer true?

Thanks,
Kenneth

Re: [Net]Commons depends on 1.4 JRE as of v1.3.0

Posted by Kenneth Stephen <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:40:31 +0100, Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> wrote:

> I wrote this piece of code. I will rewrite it to use reflection and thus
> it should compile fine in an pre 1.4 java environment.
> > Is
> >there any plan to fix this, or is the backward compatibility statement
> >no longer true?
> >
> No need to jump the gun - we just overlooked that.
Mario,

    Sorry - I didnt mean to be rude. Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Kenneth Stephen wrote:
>    The problem is that _socket_ is an instance of java.net.Socket and
>this class does not have an isConnected() method until the 1.4 Java
>level.
I wrote this piece of code. I will rewrite it to use reflection and thus
it should compile fine in an pre 1.4 java environment.
> Is
>there any plan to fix this, or is the backward compatibility statement
>no longer true?

No need to jump the gun - we just overlooked that.

---
Mario