Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2004/12/28 06:35:08 UTC

Cleaning up Site2

The jakarta-site2 module is horrendously old, overpowered and creaky.
There's support in there for using xml/xsl->html instead of anakia, and
support for printable pages.

I'm not sure the use of Anakia is even justified given the limited amount
that is being done.

In increasing order of effort level:

1) Running ant doc_print, I can't say I'm too excited by the printable
page version. I'd like to scrap it.

2) There's an XSL variant of the site generation which may be used instead
of Anakia. It's not used afaik and I think it should be ditched; except
that:

3) Are we really using Anakia enough to make it worth it? It seems to me
that it could easily be replaced with CSS and a single Java class to kick
off a simple XML/XSL conversion of each xdoc to a doc. Even that might be
overkill as I suspect we could just have regexp search and replace to
achieve the same goal.

4) What should the min JDK be for building the Jakarta site? Is there any
reason why it can't be 1.3/1.4 (whichever one gets sane XML-wise). ie) The
lib/ directory should not be needed.

5) Really contraversial: Killing dead pages. idiot.html, jars.html,
ide*.html, os.html, and of course jon.html. Probably other pages too.

6) Less contraversial (as no mention of Jon or idiots): Kill vendors page?
How about legal and acknowledgements? Should these be under the ASF
umbrella level now and not Jakarta specific.

7) Needs moving Geir: 'Apache on the JSPA'; jspa-position.html.

8) Faqs is something I would merge in with my 'one page index' idea with
cvs/svn, javadoc, jars, source, binary, issue-tracking, mailing lists,
wiki. I admit I may not get it all on one page :) The challenge is how to
make a 50 x 10 table look good.

Hen

Re: Cleaning up Site2

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

> I'll go ahead and start making changes/cleanup in a steady manner now
> that I've had a sanity check from Martin.
>
> While meritocracy is great, I'm very aware that meritocracy on Jakarta
> things could like despotism for me.
>
> Hen

+1 on Henri being a temporary despot.  :-)

Re: Cleaning up Site2

Re: Cleaning up Site2

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 28 Dec 2004, at 20:15, Martin Cooper wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 00:35:08 -0500 (EST), Henri Yandell
> <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> 6) Less contraversial (as no mention of Jon or idiots): Kill vendors
>> page?
>> How about legal and acknowledgements? Should these be under the ASF
>> umbrella level now and not Jakarta specific.
>
> If there's stuff that makes sense to move to the main ASF site, then
> we should do that. Other stuff, like perhaps the vendors page, might
> make more sense on the wiki. I'd be leery of moving too much out,
> though, since I suspect a lot of people don't think to look outside
> the Jakarta site for help.

please beware that the energy available to maintain the foundation site
seems to be even less than for the jakarta site. there is a lot on the
jakarta site that needs moving upwards or at least replacements
writing. starting from the jakarta pages would at least provide some
impetus...

- robert

Re: Cleaning up Site2

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 00:35:08 -0500 (EST), Henri Yandell
<ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:

> The jakarta-site2 module is horrendously old, overpowered and creaky.
> There's support in there for using xml/xsl->html instead of anakia, and
> support for printable pages.
>
> I'm not sure the use of Anakia is even justified given the limited amount
> that is being done.
>
> In increasing order of effort level:
>
> 1) Running ant doc_print, I can't say I'm too excited by the printable
> page version. I'd like to scrap it.

Fine with me. I had no idea it was there. ;-)

> 2) There's an XSL variant of the site generation which may be used instead
> of Anakia. It's not used afaik and I think it should be ditched; except
> that:
>
> 3) Are we really using Anakia enough to make it worth it? It seems to me
> that it could easily be replaced with CSS and a single Java class to kick
> off a simple XML/XSL conversion of each xdoc to a doc. Even that might be
> overkill as I suspect we could just have regexp search and replace to
> achieve the same goal.

I would be +0 for just using Ant's <xslt> (a.k.a. <style>) to kick off
a simple XSLT conversion along with a CSS stylesheet. (I would be +1
if I was more practised in the use of these myself.) This is how we
generate the Struts documentation, and it's worked well for us. Also,
I suspect that using XSLT instead of Anakia would open up the
possibility of more contributors, and using CSS would allow for some
folks to come up with a much snazzier site much more easily.

> 4) What should the min JDK be for building the Jakarta site? Is there any
> reason why it can't be 1.3/1.4 (whichever one gets sane XML-wise). ie) The
> lib/ directory should not be needed.

I'd say just require JDK 1.4 and a recent version of Ant, and you're
all done. The lib directory can go.

> 5) Really contraversial: Killing dead pages. idiot.html, jars.html,
> ide*.html, os.html, and of course jon.html. Probably other pages too.

No opinion on this one.

> 6) Less contraversial (as no mention of Jon or idiots): Kill vendors page?
> How about legal and acknowledgements? Should these be under the ASF
> umbrella level now and not Jakarta specific.

If there's stuff that makes sense to move to the main ASF site, then
we should do that. Other stuff, like perhaps the vendors page, might
make more sense on the wiki. I'd be leery of moving too much out,
though, since I suspect a lot of people don't think to look outside
the Jakarta site for help.

> 7) Needs moving Geir: 'Apache on the JSPA'; jspa-position.html.
>
> 8) Faqs is something I would merge in with my 'one page index' idea with
> cvs/svn, javadoc, jars, source, binary, issue-tracking, mailing lists,
> wiki. I admit I may not get it all on one page :) The challenge is how to
> make a 50 x 10 table look good.

The FAQs page is pretty big all by itself. Not sure how you're going
to manage incorporating that into a 'one page index', but I'll look
forward to seeing what you come up with. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper