Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ank <an...@yahoo.com> on 2010/01/06 15:42:20 UTC

RE: extreme slow checkout with windows svn 1.6 clients

I am also experiencing a similar behavior. Initially I thought that the checkouts were slow because the .svn folder was updated to the 1.6 format (as in my case I moved from 1.4.x to 1.6) but that was not the case.

Any workarounds, settings, hotfixes?

Ankush

RE: Re: extreme slow checkout with windows svn 1.6 clients

Posted by ank <an...@yahoo.com>.
There are two solutions to improve the performance

1. svnkit way

a. Update the svnant package with latest set of svnkit jars (with jna)
b. Set svnkit.symlinks to false (environment variable/system property)
c. Add jna.jar to the classpath along with all the svnant jars (including svnkit.jar)

There is a significant performance improvement, for me it was 5 times faster.

2. Use javahl (not tested though)

Posted by ank <an...@yahoo.com>.
Upgrading to the latest svnkit library didn't work, still experiencing slow checkouts.

Found multiple threads listing performance issues with the svnkit library

http://old.nabble.com/svnkit-cli-slow-on-large-dirs-%28many-files%29-td12251332.html

Posted by ank <an...@yahoo.com>.
Actually it was fast using the command line svn client. Problem might be specific to the svnant 1.3 (svnkit) communicating with svn 1.6.6.

I have updated the svnkit library to 1.3.2 (that supports svn 1.6.6 features) within the svnant package and running the same tests again.

Another thing I noticed was that the svnserve consumes 99% CPU processing time. I never saw this with 1.4.5 svn version with same set of operations.

Ankush

Re: extreme slow checkout with windows svn 1.6 clients

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <sv...@mobsol.be>.
On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 5:05 PM, ank <an...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Let me add some details
>
> I am using svn server 1.6.6
> svn client is also 1.6 (svnant 1.3 that internally refers to the svnkit library).

So your slow client uses SVNKit as svn library right?

How's the performance with the default svn command line client?

SVNKit is a reimplementation of the svn client libraries in native
Java, it's a separate project. So if there's a performance problem in
the client we want to make sure that it gets analyzed / solved in the
right place.

Lieven

RE: extreme slow checkout with windows svn 1.6 clients

Posted by ank <an...@yahoo.com>.
Let me add some details

I am using svn server 1.6.6
svn client is also 1.6 (svnant 1.3 that internally refers to the svnkit library).

JDK is 1.5 + windows