Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com> on 2001/08/14 19:16:09 UTC

XSP initialization (was Re: [C2] [2.1-dev] various fixes and changes)

Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> The following patch tries to address a few issues I've encountered.

<snip/>

> - the patch for xsp.xsl allows for initialization code to be generated at the
> entry in the generate() method using the xsp:init-page element. Note that this
> is not the same with the xsp:logic element placed before the first element
> inside xsp:page. While the xsp:logic generates code which ends up before the
> declaration of the generate() method, the xsp:init-page generates code right
> inside generate(), before anything else is executed. This feature is useful in
> some of the logicsheets I have here.

I was thinking of this kind of feature just today !

But I'd like to be able to insert code at additional locations :
- before startDocument(), identical to your <xsp:init-page> and after
endDocument(). This is to set up things before anything gets generated,
and allows also, if an error occurs during this setup, the error-handler
to generate a clean page. After endDocument(), cleanup can be performed,
e.g. releasing components.

- before startElement() and after endElement() of the root element, to
allow global namespace mappings to be defined.

I was thinking to use the existing <xsp:logic> outside of the page
element feature, but with additional attributes on it :
- <xsp:logic before="document">, <xsp:logic after="document">
- <xsp:logic before="root-element">, <xsp:logic after="root-element">

Ovidiu and others, what do you think of this ?

And can we easily alter the XSP syntax that is also used by AxKit (BTW,
the xsp-dev list is _very_ quiet) ?

--
Sylvain Wallez