Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Marc Eckart <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2009/03/12 18:20:18 UTC

How to hand out a param from request to request

Hi,

I want to "automatically" give a paramter from request to request. How
can I do this?

The context why I want something like this is:

We have many applications which runs on their own webservers. Now we
have an approach to put them all together in an portal application.
This application opens an iframe for every integrated application
which should be executed. This works fine. But now I have the problem
that each integrated application can call another webapplication which
does some search operations. The applications are connected with
return-urls.

The problem is that now all applications are in the same browser
(before most of them has theire own browser instance) and the session
id is the same. So the return url from the calling application is
overwritten from the returnurl of the next integrated application.

My idea is, that the inital request creates a unique token, which is
used to store the application specific params in the session. And this
token has to be given from request to request so that the different
searches don't cross each other.

Does this make sense?

Best regards,
Marc

Re: How to hand out a param from request to request

Posted by dusty <du...@yahoo.com>.
Not really.  I am not sure if there is a Struts2 question in there or more of
a general web application design question.  It sounds kind of messy.  Kind
of a poor man's mash-up.  Why do all the applications have the same session
id?  Is it all one app now on one server or are they still on other servers?

I think you are going to be pulling your hair out trying to get iFramed
"portlets" to work together.  You are probably better off writing actutal
portlet interfaces to your existing applications and deploy those in your
portlet container.

If you really wanted to be cool, you could add a JSON restful web service
layer to each of your existing apps and then use Javascript to assemble the
pieces and manage the interactions.  You may be in "hire a consultant"
territory.

When you say calls