Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Andrea Cosentino <an...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2020/03/13 09:00:20 UTC

Moving Karaf/OSGi code into a Camel sub project

Hello,

We already moved the Spring Boot code and all the SB starters into a separated git repository for convenience and to make the core independent. And the same was done for Camel Quarkus, which started as a separated sub project from the beginning. And we also recently moved the examples out into its own git repository.

We should do the same for Karaf/OSGi support for multiple reasons:
- Having a separated repository will make easier and faster to release new stuff and fixes without rebuilding the core part (this would be something really useful)
- We could have separated documentation as we already have for Spring Boot
- We could make the main camel repository lighter
- It’s much easier to find code related to OSGi/Karaf as its all together in
- We can then add Karaf as a sub project to the Camel website (see projects menu item)
- We can have separated documentation on the website for Karaf/OSGi
- We can generate a list of components that are supported in Karaf/OSGi and also publish this on the website

If we follow this path, we could be able to add new supported platforms in the future without having to modify the core part.

We envision that we only need to move core/camel-core-osgi, and all the osgi components, and together with the karaf features and karaf commands, and the itests. We will continue to generate OSGi MANIFEST.MF in the JARs from the main Camel so they are still OSGi bundles.

The end result would essentially be the same as today. Camel will continue to be supported and work on Karaf.

And we think we should do this before the first LTS release of Apache Camel, which is planned to be Camel 3.3.0. So ideally we get this done for Camel 3.2.0 so more people in the community can get their hands on a release and provide feedback.

This will require some effort but we do believe it’s worth the work.

Thoughts?

--
Andrea Cosentino
----------------------------------

Re: Moving Karaf/OSGi code into a Camel sub project

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Claus,

Thanks, I will tackle that ;)

Regards
JB

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Agree, that’s the easiest way (at least for reviewer not the release manager ;) ).

Regards
JB

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Yes, that’s my point. Source repositories is one think, but kind of "assembly" on single staging repository is more convenient IMHO.

Regards
JB

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Moving Karaf/OSGi code into a Camel sub project

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Zoran,

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Cameleers,

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Moving Karaf/OSGi code into a Camel sub project

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Andrea,