Posted to ftpserver-users@mina.apache.org by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org> on 2008/03/31 16:50:30 UTC

[REPOST] Using embedded FTP server for testing?

My application interact with an FTP server.  Included in the unit
testing, I connect to a FTP server to run some test cases.  Since the
FTP server is controlled by someone else, it makes running some test
cases difficult.

Specifically the test cases include the following:
o Reading and writing files to the FTP server.
o Renaming files on the FTP server.
o Listing files on the FTP server.
o Verifying application behavior when the FTP server is not available.
o Verify application behavior when authentication fails.

1) Is Mina's FTP server  a viable choice for me?

2) Will the FTP server be included in the standard MINA?

3) Is their a road map for the FTP server?

Paul Spencer

Re: [REPOST] Using embedded FTP server for testing?

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
Hi, answers inline

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org> wrote:
>  1) Is Mina's FTP server  a viable choice for me?

Yes, one of the most (if not the most) important goal with FtpServer
is the be easily embeddable. My original reason for getting involved
in the project is exactly what you're doing. All of the cases you
describe are easily testable.

>  2) Will the FTP server be included in the standard MINA?

No, I don't think so. MINA is a framework and FtpServer is an
implementation of a specific protocol built on top of MINA. However,
FtpServer will be releasing in the same way as MINA (and all other
Apache projects) so it should be usable on its own.

>  3) Is their a road map for the FTP server?

Right now the focus is on finishing up the refactoring to get it
working better for embedding and in IoC frameworks. After that, the
focus will be on stabilization and getting a 1.0 release out. As for
FTP features, we pretty much support most there is in the actual FTP
protocol already. So, after 1.0 I would hope for some work on
integration with other projects, for example embedding FtpServer
within Java EE appservers.

/niklas