Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/27 00:12:16 UTC

Enable G1's String Deduplication by default.

Dear all,

I've opened an issue months ago in order to revisit the default startup
options. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-342

I did not came up with anything really big, besides removing the client
VM specification. However I think we can add string deduplication
feature of G1 GC (-XX:+UseStringDeduplication), which is available since
JVM 1.8.0_20.

Honestly I used NetBeans with that for years and I did not notice any
drawbacks of that so far. What I noticed, when I started to use theSnap
packages I'm building for Linux, is that NetBeans is a bit more power
hungry when I working on NB modules. This meant that my 1 Gb heap was
almost fully consumed when module indexing/parsing happened and forced
the IDE to more garbage collecting. Re-enabling String deduplication
helped a lot.

String Deduplication feature has been available since 2014 and even
Eclipse is using that option from 2016. I think it is safe to enable it
for 9.0.

See: https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/518

What do you think?