Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joel Parramore <pa...@homes.com> on 2001/04/06 21:28:03 UTC

Servlet auto-reloading under ROOT context (was RE: simple question for servlet-configuration of tomcat)

On a slightly related note: are servlets under the ROOT context
automatically reloaded?

The docs in server.xml would appear to indicate that reloadable="true" is
the default, but there's no entry for the ROOT context in my server.xml
file, and it appears to be inconsistent on our server with regard to
reloading a servlet which has (definitely) changed in
webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes (i.e., Tomcat apparently reloaded the servlet
each time the class was changed, then suddenly stopped doing so, with no
configuration changes made).

Would placing an explicit CONTEXT entry for the ROOT in the server.xml file,
i.e.,

<Context
	path="/"
	docbase="webapps/ROOT"
	crossContext="false"
	debug="0"
	reloadable="true">
</Context>

resolve this issue?  Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?

I can supply more configuration upon request, but at least I'll note that
the server configuration is with Apache 1.3.14 and Tomcat 3.2.1 running
Redhat Linux 7.0 on an Intel box, JDK 1.2.2.  Tomcat, aside from slight
changes for mod_jk operation with Apache, is unchanged from the default
configuration.

Regards,
Joel Parramore

Re: Servlet auto-reloading under ROOT context (was RE: simple question for servlet-configuration of tomcat)

Posted by Tony LaPaso <to...@abnamro.com>.
I have a *similar* problem. None of my servlets are being reloaded using
Tomcat 4, b3. This includes the servlets in /examples context.

The only way I've been able to get servlets to reload (aside from
re-starting Tomcat) is to run /manager/reload?path=/<someContext>.

Apparently servlet reloading is completely broke in T4 b2/3.