Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Richard Cavell <ri...@mail.com> on 2012/01/08 11:55:07 UTC

How to get all contribs from a specific person?

Hi,

 Is there some subcommand that will retrieve only those commits made by a specific person? Currently I'm using:

 svn log | grep Richard

 Richard

Re: How to get all contribs from a specific person?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 8, 2012, at 14:31, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
>> Top-posting is appropriate for short responses that address the entirety of the replied message.
>
> Where does it say that? I'm looking at the guidelines at
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/branches/1.4.x/www/mailing-list-guidelines.html,
> which include no such caveat.

From that very page:

> There are even situations where top-posting is preferable — for example, when the response is short and general, and applies to the entirety of a long passage of quoted text. So top-posting is always a judgement call, and in any case it's not a major inconvenience even when done inappropriately.

The current published URL for that by the way is

Re: How to get all contribs from a specific person?

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> Top-posting is appropriate for short responses that address the entirety of the replied message.

Where does it say that? I'm looking at the guidelines at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/branches/1.4.x/www/mailing-list-guidelines.html,
which include no such caveat. Admittedly, they also say that I should
not reflexively chide people for it, and I didn't think I did so
reflexively, but would welcome your opinion on the matter.

That sort of unstated exception is actually a problem for source
control, especially when used for QA. The guidelines for all sorts of
practices like backup and branching and regression testing are often
silently ignored in the field, because "we didn't need to say that" or
"this makes more sense" or one of my favorites from a conversation
last year, "just read the code". And then you don't know what actually
happened or what was done, which is anathema to source control or
testing environments.

Re: How to get all contribs from a specific person?

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Torsten Krah <tk...@fachschaft.imn.htwk-leipzig.de>.
Some heavy weight "alternative" may be to index your repository with
viewvc (using svndbadmin) and using the query backend of the tool, to
find all revisions done by author "XXX".

regards

Torsten