Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/20 09:16:24 UTC

[DISCUSS] Demo scenarios and new samples for SCA Java EE Integration

The Tuscany plugin for Geronimo which is under development currently
supports the following features:

1. Deploy regular (non-JEE) SCA contributions in Geronimo.
2. Services from SCA contributions can be made available as webservices
using binding.ws.
3. Deploy SCA enhanced web applications.
4. Inject SCA references into JSP using tag libs, Servlets, Filters,
EventListeners, JSF managed beans using @Reference annotation.
5. Deploy SCA enhanced EJB applications.
6. Inject SCA references into session and message-driven beans.
7. Package non-JEE SCA artifacts in web and EJB applications and use non-JEE
SCA components in application composite.

We have some simple helloworld kind of sample applications (see [1]) to
demonstrate individual features.  The instructions to install the plugin and
running the samples are available at [2].  My intention in starting this
discussion is to find out what kind of scenarios are the users interested
and also to see what sample applications that we can come up with such that
the application is using many of the above features.  Your inputs will be of
great help.

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/plugins/tuscany/trunk
[2]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Installing+Tuscany+Plugin+for+Geronimo

--
Vamsi

Re: [DISCUSS] Demo scenarios and new samples for SCA Java EE Integration

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>wrote:

> The Tuscany plugin for Geronimo which is under development currently
> supports the following features:
>
> 1. Deploy regular (non-JEE) SCA contributions in Geronimo.
> 2. Services from SCA contributions can be made available as webservices
> using binding.ws.
> 3. Deploy SCA enhanced web applications.
> 4. Inject SCA references into JSP using tag libs, Servlets, Filters,
> EventListeners, JSF managed beans using @Reference annotation.
> 5. Deploy SCA enhanced EJB applications.
> 6. Inject SCA references into session and message-driven beans.
> 7. Package non-JEE SCA artifacts in web and EJB applications and use
> non-JEE SCA components in application composite.
>
> We have some simple helloworld kind of sample applications (see [1]) to
> demonstrate individual features.  The instructions to install the plugin and
> running the samples are available at [2].  My intention in starting this
> discussion is to find out what kind of scenarios are the users interested
> and also to see what sample applications that we can come up with such that
> the application is using many of the above features.  Your inputs will be of
> great help.
>
> [1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/plugins/tuscany/trunk
> [2]
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Installing+Tuscany+Plugin+for+Geronimo
>
> --
> Vamsi

Some of the high level type of things i think it would be interesting to
show would be:

- re-wiring EJB references using SCA, as that demonstrates we can take an
existing regular JEE app and with a simple deploy step have the app use
services in from the SCA domain which can be implemented with any of the
implementation types we support.

- expose JEE components as services in the SCA domain, to show that you can
still use regular JEE things like session beans but have them also be part
of and used by the SCA domain

- SCA enhanced webapp's, as these seem to me like they get a lot of benefit
from an SCA enable JEE runtime and using things like the domain services and
the various web bindings and implementation types we have. (we probably need
to bring a few more of the tuscany extension up in the geronimo plugin)

   ...ant

Re: sca:service not found in spring config

Posted by Ramkumar R <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Abe,

Phil is right, you need to change the schema location here.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Ramkumar Ramalingam

RE: sca:service not found in spring config

Posted by "Sykes, Phil" <Ph...@sungardhe.com>.
[...]

Caused by: org.apache.tuscany.sca.core.assembly.ActivationException: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanDefinitionSto

reException: Line 16 in XML document from URL [file:/C:/work/jboss-4.2.3.GA/server/default/tmp/deploy/tmp33794organization-service-exp.war/WEB-INF/classes/Organization-spring-context.xml] is invalid; nested exception is org.xml.sax.SAX

ParseException: cvc-complex-type.2.4.c: The matching wildcard is strict, but no declaration can be found for element 'sca:service'.

at org.apache.tuscany.sca.core.assembly.CompositeActivatorImpl.activate(CompositeActivatorImpl.java:998)

at org.apache.tuscany.sca.node.impl.NodeImpl.start(NodeImpl.java:665)

... 149 more

Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanDefinitionStoreException: Line 16 in XML document from URL [file:/C:/wo

[...]

Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: cvc-complex-type.2.4.c: The matching wildcard is strict, but no declaration can be found for element 'sca:service'.

at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.error(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator$XSIErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator.reportSchemaError(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator.handleStartElement(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator.emptyElement(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)

[...]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

[...]

org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentInfo@d71e6c80 { url=file:/C:/work/jboss-4.2.3.GA/server/default/deploy/organization-service.war }

deployer: MBeanProxyExt[jboss.web:service=WebServer]

status: Deployment FAILED reason: URL file:/C:/work/jboss-4.2.3.GA/server/default/tmp/deploy/tmp33794organization-service-exp.war/ deployment failed

state: FAILED

watch: file:/C:/work/jboss-4.2.3.GA/server/default/deploy/organization-service.war

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Jan 21, 2009, at 4:24 AM, ant elder wrote:
>>

>>> The thing with DayTrader is that its really big and complicated and (AIU)
>>> a lot of it is designed to aid with performance measuring rather than as a
>>> show case for JEE application techniques. So it might be easier and make a
>>> better demo to pick something a little simpler like JEE enabling the
>>> existing Tuscany tutorial application.
>>>

>> Exactly right. DayTrader was not designed as a showcase scenario. It's a
>> performance measurement device. I would not consider it a template for good
>> SCA design practices.
>>
>> One DayTrader plus would be the breadth of technologies that it
>> incorporates (servlet/JMS/EJBs). However, would tend to agree with Ant that
>> the tutorial would probably provide a better basis...
>>
>> --kevan
>>

> +1 for extending the store tutorial with JEE features. The store tutorial
> doesn't show this or other things that have been coming on-line recently
> like JMS. So it would be good add some new scenarios that show these new
> features.
>
> Simon

Ok so if we do this what would be good features to add or things to show?

>From the perspective of the Tuscany Geronimo integration some things that
would be good to show could be:

 - show non-JEE contributions deployed to the Geronimo SCA domain. So that
would be contributions either providing services or wiring JEE artifacts.
For providing services it right now only support implementation.java so it
might be good to add support for another implementation type like spring,
bpel, or scripting.

- one of the focuses of the integration work so far as been in the web
container so a webapp frontend seems appropriate, so using a mix of  SCA
annotations on JEE artifacts and also it would be good to show one of the
Tuscany extension like JSONRPC, though that extension isn't yet integrated
in the plugin so we'd have to do that.

- I guess as its JEE some EJB would be good, so perhaps showing the SCA
@EJBRef rewiring capabilities on simple non-SCA EJBs

Any comments on that, and does anyone who know the tutorial application well
have any good ideas how it could be changed to use those type of features?

   ...ant

Re: [DISCUSS] Demo scenarios and new samples for SCA Java EE Integration

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks, Dan Becker

Re: [DISCUSS] Demo scenarios and new samples for SCA Java EE Integration

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
I suggest that we create a demo application based on Geronimo DayTrader: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/daytrader/branches/2.1.3/.

Thanks,
Raymond