Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Dong Dai <da...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/09 17:43:21 UTC

Adding a new command problem

Hello, all,

  I am trying to add a new command into Cassandra.

  According to my knowledge, to add a new command, i only need to add the new MessagingService.verb, specify the stage corresponding to this verb, setup the serializer/deserializer, and specify a receiveVerbHandler to process that command. However, after adding all these to Cassandra, I continuously got the timeout error saying this:

  ERROR 15:17:01 Unexpected exception during request; channel = [id: 0x22e0a7e4, /127.0.0.1:51069 => /127.0.0.1:9042]
java.lang.AssertionError: Time out exception.

  I traced into the code and saw each step during sending the message. The message looks fine, it has the right verb type and reuse the Read Stage.

  But i can not got any message from the receive side. I am not quite sure about where Cassandra starts to process in-coming message at the first place, but i did check IncomingTcpConnection.handleModernVersion() method, and nothing returns or prints after the send-side code finishes (OutboundTcpConnection.writeConnected() function).

  Could anybody give me some advices? I must miss something here since other command execute well.

thanks,
- Dong