Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk> on 1996/05/10 22:37:13 UTC

Re: New version of CVS Available

rasmus@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca wrote:

> Just an FYI here.  CVS Version 1.8.1 is available.

Further FYI ... we use 1.7. If someone can be bothered it would be useful to
know whether there are any important differences.

Cheers,

Ben.

> -Rasmus

London, England.

Re: New version of CVS Available

Posted by Samuel Tardieu <sa...@inf.enst.fr>.

Ben> Further FYI ... we use 1.7. If someone can be bothered it would
Ben> be useful to know whether there are any important differences.

Being a user of CVS, I can see one: the new "annotate" command (I
cannot remember if it was in 1.7. If it was, it was too buggy to be
usable).

With this command, you can see who has modified what line in a
file. Let's take for example a file in GNAT's distributed annex:

(warning, more than 80 cols !)

% cvs annotate s-garlic.adb
[...]
1.9.2.1      (tardieu  21-Feb-96): My_Partition_ID.Set (Server_Partition_ID);
1.23         (pautet   09-May-96): D (D_Server, "I'm the server");
1.9.2.1      (tardieu  21-Feb-96): else
1.23         (pautet   09-May-96): D (D_Protocol, "I'm a client");
[...]

You can see that the line "D (D_Server, ...)" has been added or
modified by pautet in revision 1.23 at data 05/09/96, as well as the
other line two lines below, while the rest has been last modified by
tardieu (me) in revision 1.9.2.1.

This can help a lot to find who did break something or who did make
a change which looks suspect, for example to talk with him.

  Sam, an happy user of CVS
--
"La cervelle des petits enfants, ca doit avoir comme un petit gout de noisette"
                                                       Charles Baudelaire