Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Marko Dinic <ma...@nissatech.com> on 2015/06/01 17:23:58 UTC

Streaming K-medoids

Hello everyone,

I have an idea and I would like to get a validation from community about
it.

In Mahout there is an implementation of Streaming K-means. I'm
interested in your opinion would it make sense to make a similar
implementation of Streaming K-medoids?

K-medoids has even bigger problems than K-means because it's not
scalable, but can be useful in some cases (e.g. It allows more
sophisticated distance measures).

What is your opinion about such an approach? Does anyone see problems
with it?

I already implemented K-medoids using this approach
https://seer.lcc.ufmg.br/index.php/jidm/article/viewFile/99/82 but I now
have a problem with a distance measure that does not allow projections,
so I came up to the idea to implement it in a similar way as Streaming
K-medoids.

Best regards,
Marko