Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by gene bomgardner <Ge...@Bomgardner.net> on 2005/10/12 17:11:03 UTC

The case of the vanishing Hostname

--
Hi all:
I’m a Subversion newbie and I’ve run into a problem.

I’ve been attempting to get Subversion 1.1.4 to work with apache 2.0.53 on a
FreeBSD 5.3 system. When using an http type url, the hostname seems to get
lost. The example below shows the creation of a repository and attempts to
import a single directory with two files and check them out. Following are
directory listings with owner, group, and modes shown, followed by entries
from httpd.conf. All below was done as root.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Gene

The following operations were performed:

brightstar# svnadmin create /usr/local/svn/testrepos
brightstar#
brightstar# svn import test http:///localhost/svn/testrepos

%>< snip text editor output

File svn-commit.tmp saved.
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/localhost/svn/testrepos'
svn: PROPFIND of '/localhost/svn/testrepos': Could not resolve hostname `':
Host not found (http://)

brightstar# svn     import test file:///usr/local/svn/testrepos
File svn-commit.tmp saved.
Adding         test/foo1.c
Adding         test/foo2.c

Committed revision 1.

brightstar# svn co http:///localhost/svn/testrepos/trunksvn: PROPFIND request
failed on '/usr/local/svn/testrepos/trunk'
svn: PROPFIND of '/usr/local/svn/testrepos/trunk': Could not resolve hostname
`': Host not found (http://)

brightstar# svn co file:///usr/local/svn/testrepos/trunk
A  testrepos/foo1.c
A  testrepos/foo2.c
Checked out revision 1.

Directories, files, etc:

brightstar# ls /usr/local
drwxr-xr-x   5 svn  svn   512B Oct 12 11:14 svn

brightstar# ll /usr/local/svn
drwxr-xr-x  7 root  svn   512B Oct 12 11:14 testrepos

/usr/local/svn/testrepos:
-rw-r--r--  1 root  svn   379B Oct 12 11:14 README.txt
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  svn   512B Oct 12 11:14 conf
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  svn   512B Oct 12 11:14 dav
drwxr-sr-x  2 root  svn   512B Oct 12 11:14 db
-r--r--r--  1 root  svn     2B Oct 12 11:14 format
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  svn   512B Oct 12 11:14 hooks
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  svn   512B Oct 12 11:14 locks

From httpd.conf;

LoadModule dav_module libexec/apache2/mod_dav.so
LoadModule dav_svn_module libexec/apache2/mod_dav_svn.so

#
#Subversion repositories
#
<Location /svn>
  DAV svn
  SVNParentPath /usr/local/svn/
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Location>

Re: The case of the vanishing Hostname

Posted by Travis Cline <tr...@gmail.com>.

Shouldn't that be two '/' characters?  http:/// -> http://

Re: The case of the vanishing Hostname

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 12, 2005, at 22:45, gene bomgardner wrote:

> [...] Now that I've dropped the extra slash, I get the following in
> the apache error file:
>
> [error] [client ::1] (20014)Error string not specified yet:
> Berkeley DB error
> while opening environment for filesystem /usr/local/svn/testrepos/
> db:\nInvalid
> argument
>
> Berkley DB is version 4.2 (I think). I've checked the archives, but
> the only
> related info seems to be specific to non-FreeBSD systems. Anyone
> know anything
> about this one?

Perhaps your Apache mod_dav_svn module is compiled with a different
version of BDB than the svnadmin which created the repository?

Assuming you can still access the repository on the command-line, I
suggest you convert it to FSFS format. So many problems reported on
this list are caused by using BerkeleyDB repositories, and I've yet
to see any resulting from using FSFS repositories.

You should dump the repository to a text file, then reinstall all
parts of Subversion, so as to have the same version everywhere. Then
create a new FSFS repository, and then import the dump file.

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#bdb-fsfs-convert

Re: The case of the vanishing Hostname

Posted by gene bomgardner <Ge...@Bomgardner.net>.

--

> On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 13:22 -0500, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> > Gary Thomas <ga...@mlbassoc.com> writes:
> > > Note that for file:, you'll have ///, but for all other transport
> > > methods, it's just // (standard URL spelling rules)
> >
> > Specifically, isn't the third "/" in file:// URLs the beginning of the
> > absolute path in filesystem space, and thus conceptually distinct from
> > the "//" that precedes it?
>
> Yes, that's a better wording (although I doubt that relative paths
> are ever much use with file: )

Yup - that was it (Duh-uh <Homer Simpson slap to head>). Now that I've dropped
the extra slash, I get the following in the apache error file:

[error] [client ::1] (20014)Error string not specified yet: Berkeley DB error
while opening environment for filesystem /usr/local/svn/testrepos/db:\nInvalid
argument

Berkley DB is version 4.2 (I think). I've checked the archives, but the only
related info seems to be specific to non-FreeBSD systems. Anyone know anything
about this one?

Thanx,
Gene

Re: The case of the vanishing Hostname

Posted by Gary Thomas <ga...@mlbassoc.com>.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Gary Thomas <ga...@mlbassoc.com> writes:
> Note that for file:, you'll have ///, but for all other transport
> methods, it's just // (standard URL spelling rules)

Specifically, isn't the third "/" in file:// URLs the beginning of the
absolute path in filesystem space, and thus conceptually distinct from
the "//" that precedes it?

-Karl

--
www.collab.net  <>  CollabNet  |  Distributed Development On Demand

Re: The case of the vanishing Hostname

Posted by Gary Thomas <ga...@mlbassoc.com>.
On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 12:11 -0500, gene bomgardner wrote:

> --
> Hi all:
> I’m a Subversion newbie and I’ve run into a problem.
>
> I’ve been attempting to get Subversion 1.1.4 to work with apache 2.0.53 on a
> FreeBSD 5.3 system. When using an http type url, the hostname seems to get
> lost. The example below shows the creation of a repository and attempts to
> import a single directory with two files and check them out. Following are
> directory listings with owner, group, and modes shown, followed by entries
> from httpd.conf. All below was done as root.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
> Thanks.
> Gene
>
> The following operations were performed:
>
> brightstar# svnadmin create /usr/local/svn/testrepos
> brightstar#
> brightstar# svn import test http:///localhost/svn/testrepos
>
> %>< snip text editor output
>
> File svn-commit.tmp saved.
> svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/localhost/svn/testrepos'
> svn: PROPFIND of '/localhost/svn/testrepos': Could not resolve hostname `':
> Host not found (http://)

Because this is just what you asked for!

Try: http://localhost/svn/testrepos