Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Robert Parsons <ro...@optushome.com.au> on 2005/05/22 11:49:03 UTC

Reload on Tomcat 5.5

Hi,

I first stared using tomcat with version 5.0. I recently have tried
installing version 5.5 and have noticed only 1 major difference...
reload doesnt seem to work! I dont get any errors, infact i get the
correct entries in the log etc but nothing actually reloads. I have
tried to reload via the manager application and reload via the ant task.
Neither work. If i undeploy then re-deploy then the application updates
fine.

I just then tried EXACTLY the same application and environment (in fact
i just deleted the 5.5 tomcat folder and stuck a 5.0 one there instead).
Reload works perfectly.

I have searched high and low on the internet and cannot find anything
about any difference or problems with reload. An I doing somthing wrong
here or does reload just not work?

Thanks,
Robert.

Re: Reload on Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Stephen Souness <so...@hotmail.com>.
Please post a snippet of your config from server.xml with the relevant
Host entry so that we can eliminate that as a possible cause of the problem.

--
Stephen

Re: Reload on Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Robert Parsons <ro...@optushome.com.au>.
Parsons Technical Services wrote:

> Robert,
>
> I would like to apologize for allowing myself to get into a flame war
> on your thread. My original intent was to point out an area that I had
> noticed had gotten a lot of postings and sounded similar to yours.
> Most of the posts made reference to the cache or workfiles and thus
> that is also what I was referring to as a means for searching.
>
> Unless I am sure of something I always try to let the reader know
> that. That is why I said things like "sounds like" and "you may be".
>
> I did mistype a word, I meant to say delete the "folder" instead of
> "cache".
>
> Again, I apologize for letting myself get sidetracked.
>
> Now back on topic.
>
> If you are working on two separate machines for deployment and
> programming, you may want to ensure that both machine have the same
> time. It should not make a difference between 5.5 and 5.0 but may be
> worth checking.
>
> Doug
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Remy Maucherat"
> <re...@gmail.com>

Doug,

Thanks for all your assistance so far.

I think i have discovered the cause of my problem. After deploying my
application using the tomcat manager application on 5.0, the application
is loaded from the directory that you specify in the "WAR or Directory
URL" box. However, when you deploy on 5.5 using the manager, it seems to
take a copy of the folder and put it under 'webapps'. So when I have
been re-compiling my classes, they were being re-compiled into the
orignal directory. Under tomcat 5.0's this is fine. But since the web
application on 5.5 is running out of a copied folder, my changes are in
fact going in the wrong place! I tried updating the COPY in 5.5 and it
reloaded fine.

It seems to be just a subtle difference in the way the manager on 5.0
and 5.5 works by default.

Thanks again,
- Robert.

Re: Reload on Tomcat 5.5

> Now that Remy has tested it in his perfect world, this gives some
> direction
> to work in. It would appear that with a basic setup, which we can only
> assume since Remy assured you that it works, that there must be a OS
> issue.
> I wonder what Remy runs?
>
> If you decide to dig deeper, I would layout the code for the two versions
> and see where they differ. Then with this information you could submit a
> bug
> report with all the details. Hopefully it could be changed unless there
> was
> a compelling reason.
>
> I am so glad that Remy pointed out that I was wrong, but had no
> explanation
> for why you were having problems. Considering that I was only suggesting a
> direction to look in. But then again if you had been running Windows then
> may have been right.
>
> Don't let the snotty attitude get to you. You encounter those type on the
> list from time to time.

Please try to make sense next time. Writing inaccurate statements
while appearing to "know things" will confuse people, and will be much
worse than posting nothing. If you don't really know, then don't post
funky theories as facts.

Your main assertion is baseless "5.5 has a hard time letting go of the
cache/workfiles". Do you actually know what you are talking about ? I
suppose not.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat

Re: Reload on Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: Reload on Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Harry Mantheakis <ha...@mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk>.
> Don't let the snotty attitude get to you. You encounter those type on the
> list from time to time.

LOL

Re: Reload on Tomcat 5.5

Re: Reload on Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: Reload on Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Robert Parsons <ro...@optushome.com.au>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

>On 5/22/05, Robert Parsons <ro...@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>

>>I don't imagine stuff, and I am not currently running tomcat under
>>windows. I have used various versions of tomcat 5.0 and 5.5 on many
>>different Operating systems (such as redhat, fedora core, ubuntu linux
>>and windows xp) and many versions of java (quite a few different 1.4 and
>>1.5's). I have not claimed there is a problem with tomcat, i am asking
>>for help as I do not know if I am doing somthing wrong.
>>

>Yes, you are doing something wrong, as this works.
>

>>All i can say is that after following tutorials and using very standard
>>Ant scripts (or the the tomcat manager application) I can easily
>>'reload' servlet applications on Tomcat 5.0.x. On every installation of
>>Tomcat 5.5.x i have found that 'reloading' applications (in the same way
>>I have done with 5.0) does nothing. Changes to classes are not reflected
>>in the output of the application. To get anything to update I have to
>>undeploy and install it again. There is nothing much more I can tell
>>you. I could give you source code or my ant script, but source code is
>>fairly irellevant and the ant script i am using is straight out of the
>>tomcat getting started tutorial. The only configuration changes I have
>>made to tomcat was adding a user in the users.xml!
>>

>More nonsensical statements. To start with, class reloading is not
>enabled by default *and* reloading does work fine. As I said, if you
>think otherwise, please post factual data (test cases, whatever)
>proving otherwise.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Well to be more specific then I will give you an example of what I have
tried as a test. I write a basic servlet that simply prints a line of
text to the screen. If i compile it and deploy it, all is good. If I
then make a modification to that that string in the source file,
recompile then RELOAD (using ant), the servlet still outputs the
ORIGINAL string (before the modification). The same thing happens If i
recompile then press 'reload' in the tomcat manager application instead
of using ant.

If i perform the steps above on the latest tomcat 5.0 (rather than 5.5),
the NEW string would be printed out after the reload.  Any ideas? Coz
i'm stumped.

-Robert.

Re: Reload on Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: Reload on Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Robert Parsons <ro...@optushome.com.au>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

>On 5/22/05, Robert Parsons <ro...@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Thanks for the quick reply. I have the latest stable version i think
>>(5.5.9). I have tried this on older version too in the past and just
>>given up and gone back to 5.0. I just decided this time to see if it was
>>a bug or me missing somthing.
>>
>>Basically i'm just trying to get classes to reload. Say i make a change
>>in what a particular servlet prints out to the browser, i want to see
>>that change. Nothing complex. At the moment i've just gone back to 5.0
>>and all is working ok. From time to time i'll download 5.5 and see if it
>>works :p
>>

>If you're not actually looking for help, and were just trying to
>confuse people with your incorrect statements about an imaginary
>problem, then please do not bother posting.
>
>BTW, reloading works well, please do not claim otherwise without
>posting factual data. Doug's post is also wrong, as there are no such
>thing as "cache/workfiles" which would cause updating issues (the only
>relevant thing you could be referring to is the locking issues when
>redeploying on Windows).

Hi,

[...]

Although I am currently able to work around the problem by going and
using version 5.0 this may not always be the case. I just wanted to find
out if there were any issues or changes in this area and my searches on
the internet have turned up nothing.

- Robert.

Re: Reload on Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: Reload on Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Robert Parsons <ro...@optushome.com.au>.
Hi,

Re: Reload on Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
I don't run 5.5, but it sounds like you may be running into an issue that
has plagued several others on the list. 5.5 has a hard time letting go of
the cache/workfiles.