Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by Ryan Merriman <me...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/30 21:00:35 UTC

[DISCUSS] Dockerize Metron

I would like to open up a discussion around creating Docker images for
Metron.  Having this available would provide a leaner alternative to the
ansible/vagrant environment for development tesing (and even demoing or
exploring features).  It could also relieve some of the dependency version
conflict issues that we've been experiencing when running integration tests
in a single JVM.

I would suggest the initial version be intended only for development and
testing purposes.  The general approach could be to create an image for
each service we depend on and use something like Docker compose to package
them together.  A Dockerfile would either install the service from scratch
or extend a community image then add any Metron related dependencies or
configurations on top.  The metron-deployment project code could be used as
a guide.

I would like to see these images added initially to support development and
testing:

   - Kafka with topics preconfigured
   - Storm with metron topology assets installed
   - Zookeeper with paths created and sample configs loaded
   - HBase with sample enrichments and threat intel loaded
   - Elasticsearch configured for Metron
   - MySQL with databases/tables/users created and geo data loaded

Other images that could also be useful:

   - Images for each sensor
   - Ambari?
   - Solr

Looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks.

Ryan Merriman

Re: [DISCUSS] Dockerize Metron

Posted by "Tseytlin, Keren" <Ke...@capitalone.com>.
Really liking this conversation on Docker. One additional feature for Dockerized Metron that would be awesome is if there are some sort of proxy configs/capability set up for those of us who work in corporate settings.

Whenever I use Docker at work I run into a nasty bug where if I switch networks then I basically have to start from the base of the container again. Would be fabulous if this container didn’t require me to switch networks.

Best,
Keren

On 10/1/16, 8:24 PM, "Michael Miklavcic" <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

    I really like this

Posted by Michael Miklavcic <mi...@gmail.com>.
I really like this

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.
Oh yeah I like that strategy. It lets us isolate some of our more
"challenging" dependencies in the tests (e.g. Hbase and storm) and still
debug in the ide.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
At least on the Storm side, remote debugging can be problematic. If you pause execution of a worker process, it will stop heart beating and supervisor will kill it. Just something to be aware of.

I think we might have a flag to disable that behavior, but I'd have to check.

I usually use local mode for debugging.

-Taylor

Posted by Ryan Merriman <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.