Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2012/02/19 04:17:42 UTC

How to check out and compile Apache Flex SDK in Flash Builder

Hi there,

Just been looking at how The Flex SDK framework can work easily with a Flash Builder project so it's easily to generate patches patches. It's not straight forward (not totally unexpected) unless you checkout and create the project in a certain order. Hopefully this will save someone some time.

The major issues is that Flash Builder doesn't support nested projects and subclipse needs the SVN as the base directory in a project (ie not in a sub directory called frameworks). It's quite possible that other IDEs don't have these issues. Trying tricks like like linking framework directory between 2 project cause issues with paths in the build scripts.

This is what you need to do:

1. Create a new FB project (via the import SVN wizard) checking out from truck (and not from trunk/frameworks!).

2. Download (if you can) or obtain a copy of the open source Flex 4.6 SDK.

3. Copy all directories from the OS SDK into you FB project except the frameworks directory.

4. You can now use SVN from within FB to compare changes you make and generate patches.

Note that these instructions are slightly different to what is contained in the current README.txt.

It would probably be a good idea to place these instructions up on developer section of web site and include instructions for other IDE's as well.

Thanks,
Justin

RE: How to check out and compile Apache Flex SDK in Flash Builder

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.
>>The mentors responded in another thread that binaries required to make builds are fine so for example compc/mxmlc or requires SWCs are fine to have in SVN as long as the binaries have the right licenses.

>Which might be a problem. From my recollection of fighting this with spoon, much of the compiler code is under the Adobe license, not the MPL, so I am not sure how that will play out here.

And what I meant by that is: I am not sure if the license for even the compiler binaries is appropriate for checkin.

Mike

Re: How to check out and compile Apache Flex SDK in Flash Builder

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.

> >Can we just make the build script download the required compilers, etc?
> The issue is basically hosting in our repo and redistributing if the
> license is not compatible so that should solve our problem right?
>
> With Spoon, we basically had people downloading the Adobe SDK, overlaying
> ours and then building along the lines of what Justin was doing.  We can
> probably do as you suggest, but we will need to host them somewhere. They
> are checked in as source (I believe) not as binaries into Adobe's repo, so
> we can't source them from there.

No idea if this is legal from a licensing point of view, but would it be
possible to add these directories using svn:external properties?

Roland

Re: How to check out and compile Apache Flex SDK in Flash Builder

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/18/12 8:04 PM, "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>
wrote:

> With Spoon, we basically had people downloading the Adobe SDK, overlaying ours
> and then building along the lines of what Justin was doing.  We can probably
> do as you suggest, but we will need to host them somewhere. They are checked
> in as source (I believe) not as binaries into Adobe's repo, so we can't source
> them from there.

Also, this is hopefully a temporary situation.  We hope to have the compiler
building from source as part of the build script "soon".

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

RE: How to check out and compile Apache Flex SDK in Flash Builder

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Michael A. Labriola <
labriola@digitalprimates.net> wrote:

> >The mentors responded in another thread that binaries required to make
> builds are fine so for example compc/mxmlc or requires SWCs are fine to
> have in SVN as long as the binaries have the right licenses.
>
> Which might be a problem. From my recollection of fighting this with
> spoon, much of the compiler code is under the Adobe license, not the MPL,
> so I am not sure how that will play out here.
>
> Mike

Can we just make the build script download the required compilers, etc? The
issue is basically hosting in our repo and redistributing if the license is
not compatible so that should solve our problem right?

--
Omar Gonzalez
s9tpepper@apache.org

RE: How to check out and compile Apache Flex SDK in Flash Builder

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

--
Omar Gonzalez
s9tpepper@apache.org

Re: How to check out and compile Apache Flex SDK in Flash Builder

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > a.) What are these directories that have to be brought in from the
> > download? And where are you getting that download from?
>
> Currently the code checked in to SVN is only the framework code it's
> missing the compiler and a few other bits required to compile the framework.
>
> The extra files can be obtained from here:
> http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/Download+Flex+4.6
>
> Click on the download link for the Open Source Flex SDK. Note that the
> download wasn't working for me this morning.

Thanks for that clarification!

> > b.) Why aren't those files in our SVN so we can make builds with what is
> > available in the Apache Flex SVN repo?
> Adobe is still going thought legal clearance to donate those files I
> believe and I'm not sure when that is expected to be completed. It may also
> be because it contains are binary files and there are issues with checking
> non source code files into Apace SVN???

Carl just stated in another thread also that they're waiting for legal
review.

The mentors responded in another thread that binaries required to make
builds are fine so for example compc/mxmlc or requires SWCs are fine to
have in SVN as long as the binaries have the right licenses.

> > I ask because I think the ideal scenario is that everything required to
> > make a build is attainable from our repository.
> That would be ideal but probably not possible even if all of the above
> files were in SVN. The build script downloads playergloabal, osmf and the
> AIR integration kit from URLs as part of the build process.

Yea I figured the 3rd party stuff from Adobe would be downloaded like
playerglobal, it makes sense.

> Thanks,
> Justin

Thanks Justin.

--
Omar Gonzalez
s9tpepper@apache.org

Re: How to check out and compile Apache Flex SDK in Flash Builder

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

> 2. Download (if you can) or obtain a copy of the open source Flex 4.6 SDK.
>
> 3. Copy all directories from the OS SDK into you FB project except the
> frameworks directory.

What I'm wondering is why do we need these two steps? What I mean by that
is:

a.) What are these directories that have to be brought in from the
download? And where are you getting that download from?

b.) Why aren't those files in our SVN so we can make builds with what is
available in the Apache Flex SVN repo?

I ask because I think the ideal scenario is that everything required to
make a build is attainable from our repository. So I'm wondering if there
are some specific reasons those directories are not in our repo.

--
Omar Gonzalez
s9tpepper@apache.org