Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/13 00:25:36 UTC

C++ SCA and SDO M2 Release Candidate 1 now available

Hi everyone,

I have posted candidates for the C++ SCA and SDO M2 release here:

http://people.apache.org/~ajborley/cpp-1.0-incubator-M2-RC1

Please take a look, read the docs, build & run the libraries and
samples & let us know how you find it so that we can either re-spin
the release or vote on it asap.

The website documentation is currently based on the M1 release and
will be re-written to sync with what is in the release.

About Tuscany SCA C++
===================

Tuscany SCA C++ provides a runtime implementation for the for the Service
Component Architecture 0.96 Assembly specification and the 0.95 C++ Client
& Implementation Model specification, written in C++ and will currently
support C++, Python and Ruby component implementation types.

The specifications can be found at
http://www.osoa.org/display/Main/Service+Component+Architecture+Specifications

It is possible to interoperate with Tuscany SCA Java via the Web
Service bindings
for services and references but restrictions apply. This is not yet a complete
implementation and known restrictions are described below.

Supported SCA Assembly Model features
  *  All features are supported unless listed under the known restrictions
     below. See SCA Assembly Model specification.

Supported language bindings
  * Component implementations written in C++. See the SCA C++ Client and
    Implementation Model specification.
  * Component implementations written in Python. See the
doc/PythonExtension.html
    documentation.
  * Component implementations written in Python. See the doc/RubyExtension.html
    documentation.
  * Component interfaces described by C++ classes. See SCA Client and
    Implementation Model specification.

Supported service and reference bindings
  * The web service binding is supported. This implementation will support
    web services which using document literal SOAP bindings conforming to the
    WS-I basic profile (rpc/encoded is not yet supported).

Known restrictions
  * Local service interfaces cannot use overloaded operations (the SCA
    specification limits remote service interfaces to not using overloaded
    operations).
  * Each WSDL definition for a web service binding must be in a single WSDL
    document.
  * No load time validation of the deployed SCA application (run time
    validation only).
  * No metadata API.

About Tuscany SDO for C++

[HELP wanted] Review M2 docs showing how to use SCA in Python and Ruby

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
The M2 release of the Tuscany/C++ SCA project introduces the ability to
write SCA components in Python and Ruby.

I have reviewed the documents describing that feature in the M2 Release
Candidate 1 distribution posted by Andy, but I'm sure there's a good
number of Python and Ruby developers subscribed to the list, and we
could use your help and feedback to improve these docs.

So if anybody is interested, you can just download the M2 RC1 binary
distribution at
http://people.apache.org/~ajborley/cpp-1.0-incubator-M2-RC1,
tuscany_sca_cpp-1.0-incubator-M2-bin.zip  (size = 1.2 Mb) on Windows, or
tuscany_sca_cpp-1.0-incubator-M2-bin.tar.gz (size = 2.1 Mb) on Linux,
unpack it, read doc/PythonExtension.html and doc/RubyExtension.html, and
let us know how we can improve these docs!

This is a new feature and we could also use any feedback on how to
improve our integration with these languages. Any ideas to make this
look more Pythonic or Rubyesque is welcome.

Thanks!

Jean-Sebastien

Re: C++ SCA and SDO M2 Release Candidate 1 now available

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
Nice one. I'm downloading Windows src and bin and will run through using the
doc only. Should be fun ;-)

Cheeers,

On 12/10/06, Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have posted candidates for the C++ SCA and SDO M2 release here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~ajborley/cpp-1.0-incubator-M2-RC1
>
> Please take a look, read the docs, build & run the libraries and
> samples & let us know how you find it so that we can either re-spin
> the release or vote on it asap.
>
> The website documentation is currently based on the M1 release and
> will be re-written to sync with what is in the release.
>

> About Tuscany SCA C++
> ===================
>
> Tuscany SCA C++ provides a runtime implementation for the for the Service
> Component Architecture 0.96 Assembly specification and the 0.95 C++ Client
> & Implementation Model specification, written in C++ and will currently
> support C++, Python and Ruby component implementation types.
>
> The specifications can be found at
>
> http://www.osoa.org/display/Main/Service+Component+Architecture+Specifications
>
> It is possible to interoperate with Tuscany SCA Java via the Web
> Service bindings
> for services and references but restrictions apply. This is not yet a
> complete
> implementation and known restrictions are described below.
>
> Supported SCA Assembly Model features
> *  All features are supported unless listed under the known restrictions
>     below. See SCA Assembly Model specification.
>
> Supported language bindings
> * Component implementations written in C++. See the SCA C++ Client and
>    Implementation Model specification.
> * Component implementations written in Python. See the
> doc/PythonExtension.html
>    documentation.
> * Component implementations written in Python. See the
> doc/RubyExtension.html
>    documentation.
> * Component interfaces described by C++ classes. See SCA Client and
>    Implementation Model specification.
>
> Supported service and reference bindings
> * The web service binding is supported. This implementation will support
>    web services which using document literal SOAP bindings conforming to
> the
>    WS-I basic profile (rpc/encoded is not yet supported).
>
> Known restrictions
> * Local service interfaces cannot use overloaded operations (the SCA
>    specification limits remote service interfaces to not using overloaded
>    operations).
> * Each WSDL definition for a web service binding must be in a single WSDL
>    document.
> * No load time validation of the deployed SCA application (run time
>    validation only).
> * No metadata API.
>

> About Tuscany SDO for C++

Pete

Re: C++ SCA and SDO M2 Release Candidate 1 now available

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Andrew Borley wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have posted candidates for the C++ SCA and SDO M2 release here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~ajborley/cpp-1.0-incubator-M2-RC1
>
> Please take a look, read the docs, build & run the libraries and
> samples & let us know how you find it so that we can either re-spin
> the release or vote on it asap.
>
> The website documentation is currently based on the M1 release and
> will be re-written to sync with what is in the release.
>

> About Tuscany SCA C++
> ===================
>
> Tuscany SCA C++ provides a runtime implementation for the for the Service
> Component Architecture 0.96 Assembly specification and the 0.95 C++
> Client
> & Implementation Model specification, written in C++ and will currently
> support C++, Python and Ruby component implementation types.
>
> The specifications can be found at
> http://www.osoa.org/display/Main/Service+Component+Architecture+Specifications
>

> It is possible to interoperate with Tuscany SCA Java via the Web
> Service bindings
> for services and references but restrictions apply. This is not yet a
> complete
> implementation and known restrictions are described below.
>
> Supported SCA Assembly Model features
>  *  All features are supported unless listed under the known restrictions
>     below. See SCA Assembly Model specification.
>
> Supported language bindings
>  * Component implementations written in C++. See the SCA C++ Client and
>    Implementation Model specification.
>  * Component implementations written in Python. See the
> doc/PythonExtension.html
>    documentation.
>  * Component implementations written in Python. See the
> doc/RubyExtension.html
>    documentation.
>  * Component interfaces described by C++ classes. See SCA Client and
>    Implementation Model specification.
>
> Supported service and reference bindings
>  * The web service binding is supported. This implementation will support
>    web services which using document literal SOAP bindings conforming
> to the
>    WS-I basic profile (rpc/encoded is not yet supported).
>
> Known restrictions
>  * Local service interfaces cannot use overloaded operations (the SCA
>    specification limits remote service interfaces to not using overloaded
>    operations).
>  * Each WSDL definition for a web service binding must be in a single
> WSDL
>    document.
>  * No load time validation of the deployed SCA application (run time
>    validation only).
>  * No metadata API.
>

> About Tuscany SDO for C++

Looks good! I tested the RC1 distribution on a Redhat Enterprise Linux 4
and everything worked smoothly.

Also reviewed all the docs and structure of the distributions and only
found a few issues that should be easy to fix. A few HTML files are
missing Apache license headers, a few files should be excluded  from the
distros. I found minor issues in the various readmes and docs, but most
are really just suggestions.

Everything I found is in the following JIRAs:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-842
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-843
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-844
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-845
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-847
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-848
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-849
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-850
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-851
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-852
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-853
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-854

Overall I was really impressed with the quality and the flow of the
Readmes, GettingStarted and the User guide type docs that you added for
the new Ruby and Python extensions.

The only thing I have not tested yet is the PHP client included the
BigBank sample, I'll try to do this by tomorrow.

Last comment, maybe the high level description you have in this email
could be added to the README? What do you think?

--
Jean-Sebastien