Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by allan juul <la...@inet.uni2.dk> on 2002/05/07 15:40:46 UTC

small revision of allan-site

hi!

stas has uploaded for me a new revision of the url from may2 is here
[may7]:

http://perl.apache.org/preview/allan-May7/dst_html/index.html

small differences are basically just:

* no apache feather
* thinnner headerline [2px tall]
* diff download icons [much like the prev|up|next-widget just not so
tall]
* search box, working _all_ browsers (i hope)
* menu-header-titles small again, back to 1.0em
* search results, shuld be working
  - look at actual results [no underline on links i hope]
  - look at checkboxes indention level
* different dst_html/index.html (simpler => less headaches)
* and finally the konqureror browser should show the camel on the far
right side now

./allan

Re: small revision of allan-site

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
allan wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>>small differences are basically just:
>>>* thinnner headerline [2px tall]
>>
>>+1, but do we really need the sparkle?
>

> well no, i do like it a lot. maybe we can try to have it
> only on
> search-results-pages, that would ad a subtle attention to
> the action just performed by a search ;)

Once you get used to the sparkle it's not acting as an attention
attraction any more.

On the second thought it looks like a wider under-title line makes the
title more significant. Or may be finding a middle ground bettween the two?

>>>* diff download icons [much like the prev|up|next-widget just not so tall]
>>
>>I like these, but wouldn't it be a good idea to have the rest of the
>>buttons of the same size? Or is it just fine?
>

> we could try same size overall.
> but the reason i made the download gifs smaller was because
> they took too much attention IMO if they were the same size
> as the nav widget just above

I understood that. May be it's a good idea to make the nav widgets
smaller too! having similar sizes helps. I still think that
pdf/src/prev/next are from the same family: they all fetch documents.

>>>* search box, working _all_ browsers (i hope)
>>>* menu-header-titles small again, back to 1.0em
>>
>>not for me, see the snapshot. it's quite bad. I also don't like the
>>floating headers, they don't look slick (add too many horizontal lines,
>>because each thin gap looks like yet another line), see the same attachment.
>

> ok, dropping the floating headers and that search widget version.

good

> header-titles, are you saying we have to use a fixed size
> [like 14px] for these?

the stylesheet in the cvs is just fine, any reason for changing it?

>>>* different dst_html/index.html (simpler => less headaches)
>>
>>huh?
>

> the qoute is just indented, justified and coloured...no
> special tricks to float certain words like "mod_perl" which
> is almost impossible to get right or good in all browsers.
> the new colour was jonathan's suggestion, i like it very
> much [also on your screenshot]

ok, sounds good to me. Shouldn't the signature (--Lincoln Stein) be of
the same color too?

>>>* and finally the konqureror browser should show the camel on the far
>>>right side now
>>
>>Yes, but NS4 now doesn't. See the second snapshot.
>

> i dont believe it!

:)

> ns4/mac and all other mac browsers are ok (what happens in
> ns4 if you remove the width:100% for the logobox-rule?)

then it spans fine.

>>Also overall in konqueror the site looks very bad. see shapshot10. And
>>the search widget doesn't get displayed at all!
>

> how does konqueror render the official preview of the site?

a bit better. The menu items look big and the search widget is weird.
But better than the one in your last preview. see the snapshot.

Re: small revision of allan-site

Posted by allan <la...@inet.uni2.dk>.
Stas Bekman wrote:
> > small differences are basically just:
> > * thinnner headerline [2px tall]
>
> +1, but do we really need the sparkle?

well no, i do like it a lot. maybe we can try to have it
only on
search-results-pages, that would ad a subtle attention to
the action just performed by a search ;)

> > * diff download icons [much like the prev|up|next-widget just not so tall]
>
> I like these, but wouldn't it be a good idea to have the rest of the
> buttons of the same size? Or is it just fine?

we could try same size overall.
but the reason i made the download gifs smaller was because
they took too much attention IMO if they were the same size
as the nav widget just above

> > * search box, working _all_ browsers (i hope)
> > * menu-header-titles small again, back to 1.0em
>
> not for me, see the snapshot. it's quite bad. I also don't like the
> floating headers, they don't look slick (add too many horizontal lines,
> because each thin gap looks like yet another line), see the same attachment.

ok, dropping the floating headers and that search widget version.

header-titles, are you saying we have to use a fixed size
[like 14px] for these?

> > * different dst_html/index.html (simpler => less headaches)
>
> huh?

the qoute is just indented, justified and coloured...no
special tricks to float certain words like "mod_perl" which
is almost impossible to get right or good in all browsers.
the new colour was jonathan's suggestion, i like it very
much [also on your screenshot]

> > * and finally the konqureror browser should show the camel on the far
> > right side now
>
> Yes, but NS4 now doesn't. See the second snapshot.

i dont believe it!
ns4/mac and all other mac browsers are ok (what happens in
ns4 if you remove the width:100% for the logobox-rule?)

> Also overall in konqueror the site looks very bad. see shapshot10. And
> the search widget doesn't get displayed at all!

how does konqueror render the official preview of the site?

thanks

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
allan juul wrote:
> hi!
>
> stas has uploaded for me a new revision of the url from may2 is here
> [may7]:
>
> http://perl.apache.org/preview/allan-May7/dst_html/index.html

Thanks Allan!

> small differences are basically just:
>
> * no apache feather

I think the apache feather will fit perfectly at the very bottom of the
left column. Though it has to be the very bottom of the page, not just
the left box. Which is impossible to accomplish :( (try moving the tail
to the very bottom)

> * thinnner headerline [2px tall]

+1, but do we really need the sparkle?

> * diff download icons [much like the prev|up|next-widget just not so tall]

I like these, but wouldn't it be a good idea to have the rest of the
buttons of the same size? Or is it just fine?

> * search box, working _all_ browsers (i hope)
> * menu-header-titles small again, back to 1.0em

not for me, see the snapshot. it's quite bad. I also don't like the
floating headers, they don't look slick (add too many horizontal lines,
because each thin gap looks like yet another line), see the same attachment.

> * search results, shuld be working
>  - look at actual results [no underline on links i hope]
>  - look at checkboxes indention level

+1

Posted by "Jonathan M. Hollin" <ne...@digital-word.com>.
>Ok, I pretty much like it, but I have som issues:
>
>- the font of the menu-headings (perl.apache.org/Search,
>etc..) are too
>big. I liked them as they were before, I don't think any
>change was needed
>there.
>- the search boxes are too much on the left. It seems like
>they try to be
>centered with eachother, while the whole thing is
>left-justified, and the
>result isn't very nice.
>- I don't think the small fade under the title is needed. Thin line is
>good, but I think that's enough.
>- for the PDF/SRC buttons, I think these are what was needed.
>I don't think
>you need to adjust Prev/Up/Next to the same size though, as
>those are more
>important after all.
>- the quote is excellent.
>
>Nice job, Allan!

+1 - I agree with every point Per Einar makes.

Jonathan M. Hollin - WYPUG Co-ordinator

West Yorkshire Perl User Group
http://wypug.pm.org/
http://wypug.digital-word.com/