Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Adolfo Miguelez <pe...@hotmail.com> on 2003/06/22 15:47:05 UTC

DTD mapping to DDBB......?

INTRO: Nowadays, one of the main focus of current technologies looks like
(IMHO) to define DTD for specific commonly used formats. For example XBRL
(www.xbrl.org), is a standard for companies to publish and exchange business
reports, or HR-XML (http://www.hr-xml.org/) is an other standard focused in
management of RRHH. Currently a full set of new standards are being
developed for different aspects. Some of them can be glanced at
http://www.xml.org/. Well......

PROPOSAL: I think, providing a fast mapping among DTD/XML Schemas/DDBB/Java
Objects/GUIs is (or will be), in my humble opinion one of the future
challenges of current technology. In such a way, from a standard DTD, with
the right tool, we could have the DDBB schema, Java Objects (e.g. JAXB) or
GUIs (XUL?). Therefore future implementation would become more in a matter
of knowing tools and configurate them rather than developing everything from
scratch. Less code, more re-using and configuration. The "seed" could be for
example an XML schema.

QUESTION: I am looking for a tool which allows me to, starting from a DTD
(not database aware, i.e. not a DDL) to, automatically, make up the tables
schema of a database to store the same info that the counterpart XML that
the DTD describes could store. Does anyone knows such a tool? Is this
technically possible? Has this meaning?

COROLARY: It could be interesting to have a list of tools for direct
conversion among formats. E.g.:
- DTD/schemas XML -> Java Objects  (with JAXB, Castor, Quick) (I think is
called data binding)
- DDBB -> JavaObjects (with JDO, Castor, Hibernate, Cayenne...)
Could we make up a thread as a draft for a report considering tools for
format conversions with the same source info? Contributions with tools are
welcome.

Sorry if this question could looks like (or actually is) meaningless.
Feedback, pointers and criticism are fully welcome.

Adolfo.