Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/23 23:29:36 UTC

Pastebin service for apache.org domain

Is there a pastebin service deployed in apache.org domain ?
Otherwise , what services of this kind are appropriate to make
reference to long pieces of text ?

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:

Re: Pastebin service for apache.org domain

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 2/1/13, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 12:46 AM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [...] Thanks once again . Please see
>>
>> https://trac-hacks.org/ticket/10833#comment:3
>> http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TracPastePlugin#Bloodhoundcompatibilty
>> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/162#comment:11
>> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/360#comment:1
>>
>> I look forward to your feedback .
>>

> It looks great from the screenshots I've seen.

Notice that it's important to apply pending VCS patches in #162
;)

> I'll do some testing this
> weekend

if u need anything just let me know ...

> and get the package posted to PyPI,
> adding you as one of the
> Package Index Owners.

that's ok . thanks .

> Thanks!

:)

Olemis.

Re: Pastebin service for apache.org domain

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 12:46 AM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...] Thanks once again . Please see
>
> https://trac-hacks.org/ticket/10833#comment:3
> http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TracPastePlugin#Bloodhoundcompatibilty
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/162#comment:11
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/360#comment:1
>
> I look forward to your feedback .

It looks great from the screenshots I've seen. I'll do some testing this
weekend and get the package posted to PyPI, adding you as one of the
Package Index Owners.
Thanks!

Re: Pastebin service for apache.org domain

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.

[...]

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 9:14 PM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > I see that Ryan is also a maintainer of
> > http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TracPastePlugin
>
> yes , that's a very good target for an upgrade @ i.a.o
> ;)
>
> > so if a wiki page doesn't cut
> > it for you and it can be justified, we might be able to look at that.
> >

> so ... shall we ?

I haven't done any work on the plugin in a while, but if I remember
correctly, it was in pretty good shape and I suspect a new release could be
rolled out within a few days if we/I gve some attention to it. I had some
grand plans for the plugin that I didn't find time for yet; maybe this will
be some motivation to revisit those. One of my reasons for giving it

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 1/24/13, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 9:14 PM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> >>

>> Relatively transient test reports (i.e. like those I've been pasting
>> in my recent comments posted to i.a.o) , some may be long , install
>> logs illustrating failures, (maybe) sample code ... things like that .

[...]
> From my
> experience, I'd say it can also be useful for chat / IRC sessions.

+1 ... how could I forget that ? ;)

> The TracPastePlugin is pretty simple so far,

The first and most important enhancement needed to integrate it with
Bloodhound is an upgrade to the web UI ( IOW , compatibility with
Bootstrap ).

> but one feature I think would
> make it very valuable is the ability to have pastes expire (1).
[...]

+1 , this is useful ...

> When the "expire"
> feature is implemented, I'd like to have an option to prevent pastes that
> are linked to via TracLinks (or BloodhoundLinks ;) from expiring.

[...]

... as well as this . However IMO it is not so critical to get it done
«by tomorrow» . With time such things will be added .

> Having a feature like this could make Bloodhound more appealing to other
> open source projects too, even if it has to be installed as plugin (i.e.
> doesn't ship with the BH package).

There are other valid approaches too .

> Just demoing the feature on i.a.o, or
> perhaps adding the plugin to a list of plugins that we've tested with
> Bloodhound, could be valuable.

once it will be ready for Bloodhound ? YEAH !
:)

[...]

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2013 3:12 AM, "Ryan Ollos" <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> > Having a feature like this could make Bloodhound more appealing to other
>
> Sounds like feature creep :-)
>
> IMO, define 1.0 today, and drive to that. No changes...

That's fair. It's easy to get distracted and drawn off working on the
latest thing that was discussed.

It's worth considering, that with a mature plugin we can potentially add
quite a bit of functionality in a short time. Like Olemis mentioned, the
only thing that may be needed for something like the TracPastePlugin is a
new Bloodhound template and styling. I think the key thing here is to
evaluate both the usefulness of the functionality and how much effort we'll
need to integrate the plugin to Bloodhound and support it down the road.

So hopefully we'll get some other input as to whether people think this is
a useful feature, but in the meantime I'll make some time for a brief
review of the plugin code and some testing with BH.

Re: Pastebin service for apache.org domain

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 24, 2013 3:12 AM, "Ryan Ollos" <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> Having a feature like this could make Bloodhound more appealing to other

Sounds like feature creep :-)

IMO, define 1.0 today, and drive to that. No changes...

Cheers,
-g

Re: Pastebin service for apache.org domain

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 9:14 PM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> I don't think there's any preference, I've seen people use all sorts.
> >> What kind of "long piece of text" do you specifically have in mind, that
> >> you couldn't put in the Bloodhound Wiki?
> >>

> Relatively transient test reports (i.e. like those I've been pasting
> in my recent comments posted to i.a.o) , some may be long , install
> logs illustrating failures, (maybe) sample code ... things like that .

Those are valid reasons in my opinion. I often see code samples pasted into
emails, which is valid in the case that we don't have an associated ticket,
or we don't want the code sample to be that "permanent" yet. From my
experience, I'd say it can also be useful for chat / IRC sessions.

The TracPastePlugin is pretty simple so far, but one feature I think would
make it very valuable is the ability to have pastes expire (1). That gives
us a feature we don't have in wiki pages, because some stuff just doesn't
need to live forever (and it's unlikely anyone will go through and cleanup
the wiki very often if we try to use it as a pastebin). When the "expire"
feature is implemented, I'd like to have an option to prevent pastes that
are linked to via TracLinks (or BloodhoundLinks ;) from expiring. For
example, a paste with a TracLink in the HEAD revision of a resource
wouldn't expire, but the paste could expire if the TracLink no longer
existed in any HEAD revision of a resource.

Having a feature like this could make Bloodhound more appealing to other
open source projects too, even if it has to be installed as plugin (i.e.
doesn't ship with the BH package). Just demoing the feature on i.a.o, or
perhaps adding the plugin to a list of plugins that we've tested with
Bloodhound, could be valuable.

If we have the feature, we need to make sure to use it appropriately, and
it's often more appropriate to attach a patch to a ticket, or otherwise
associate it with it's most significant resource (e.g. a BEP).

(1) http://trac-hacks.org/ticket/5695

Re: Pastebin service for apache.org domain

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 1/23/13, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 24/01/13 00:36, Branko Čibej wrote:
>> On 23.01.2013 23:29, Olemis Lang wrote:
>>> Is there a pastebin service deployed in apache.org domain ?
>> Not that I know of.

:'(

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TracPastePlugin so if a wiki page doesn't cut
it for you and it can be justified, we might be able to look at that.

Cheers,
     Gary

Re: Pastebin service for apache.org domain

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.

--
Branko Čibej