Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by henry23 <ve...@netzero.com> on 2010/03/10 01:19:26 UTC

Eclipse Galileo & Tomcat 6 - Win Vista IIS HTTP Error 500.24 - Internal Server Error

I have a laptop with Win Vista SP2 installed on it, and on which all of the
IIS features with IIS in the name have been turned off. I have Eclipse
Galileo and Tomcat 6 installed as part of the setup to working through an
online tutorial for Eclipse/Tomcat. I have the Java 5 EE SDK installed as
well. I'm at the point where I I have successfully started Tomcat through
Eclipse and when I try to go to the welcome page of Tomcat by entering the
the URL "http://localhost/" I get this error:

Server Error in Application "DEFAULT WEB SITE"Internet Information Services
7.0

Error Summary
HTTP Error 500.24 - Internal Server Error
An ASP.NET setting has been detected that does not apply in Integrated
managed pipeline mode. Detailed Error InformationModule
ConfigurationValidationModule
Notification BeginRequest
Handler StaticFile
Error Code 0x80070032
Requested URL http://localhost:80/
Physical Path C:\inetpub\wwwroot
Logon Method Not yet determined
Logon User Not yet determined
 Most likely causes:
system.web/identity@impersonate is set to true.
 Things you can try:
If the application supports it, disable client impersonation.
If you are certain that it is OK to ignore this error, it can be disabled by
setting system.webServer/validation@validateIntegratedModeConfiguration to
false.
Move this application to an application pool using Classic .NET mode - for
example, %SystemRoot%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd set app "Default Web Site/"
/applicationPool:"Classic .NET AppPool"
(You can set "Classic .NET AppPool" to the name of another application pool
running in Classic managed pipeline mode)  Links and More InformationIf you
are not sure or unable to use the first two options, then it is preferred
that you move this application to Classic mode.
View more information »

As a result I have tried solution option two mentioned above with no
success.

Then I tried this URL "http://localhost:8080/ and got this error:

HTTP Status 404 - /
type Status report
message /
description The requested resource (/) is not available.
Apache Tomcat/6.0.14

Is there a way to change the port number for Tomcat once it is installed to
get it to work properly? If not then I need to ask a second question. When I
installed the SDK called for in the tutorial I also apparently installed the
app server (GlassFish) that came with the SDK download, which I installed
with http port set to 8080 and https port set to 8181. Could this server be
running in the background without me knowing about it? If so any idea how I
can stop it from executing or change its port numbers, or should I just
uninstall it and then reinstall it with different port numbers? Please
advise. Thanks.

Re: Eclipse Galileo & Tomcat 6 - Win Vista IIS HTTP Error 500.24 - Internal Server Error

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
henry23 wrote:
> I have a laptop with Win Vista SP2 installed on it, and on which all of the
> IIS features with IIS in the name have been turned off.

Obviously not :
> Server Error in Application "DEFAULT WEB SITE"Internet Information Services
> 7.0

> An ASP.NET setting has been detected that does not apply in Integrated
> managed pipeline mode. Detailed Error InformationModule

> Move this application to an application pool using Classic .NET mode - for
> example, %SystemRoot%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd set app "Default Web Site/"
> /applicationPool:"Classic .NET AppPool"

Try disabling the IIS service in "My Computer..Manage..Services", if
such a thing exists under Vista.
Also, while you're at it, disable whatever is called UAP / "User Account
Protection", since that will probably interfere too.
Then de-install whichever version of Tomcat you have now, since it seems
to be a rather old one.
(At this point, you may also want to de-install Windows Vista and
install a serious OS like Linux, but hey, that's your choice)
Then install the latest Tomcat version for your platform, from this page :
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-60.cgi

If you choose the "service installer", it will install everything
automatically for you, and you will have a working latest Tomcat,
independent of Eclipse.  You can then set Eclipse to use it.
But that version of Tomcat does not have all the files which may come in
handy later on a development system.

If you choose the .zip version of Tomcat (my recommendation) :
- unzip it to the new directory of your choice, preferably one without
spaces in the name (c:\tomcat6.0 may be the easiest).
Then read the content of the file RUNNING.txt in the top Tomcat
directory.  Really.
In the directory tomcat\bin, you will also find a file "service.bat"
which allows you to install Tomcat as a Windows Service, and run it that
way.

Re: Eclipse Galileo & Tomcat 6 - Win Vista IIS HTTP Error 500.24 - Internal Server Error

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2010/3/10 henry23 <ve...@netzero.com>:
> Then I tried this URL "http://localhost:8080/ and got this error:
>
> HTTP Status 404 - /
> type Status report
> message /
> description The requested resource (/) is not available.
> Apache Tomcat/6.0.14

So, Tomcat works. A version that is several years old, though.

> Is there a way to change the port number for Tomcat once it is installed to
> get it to work properly?

Sure.

Have you ever tried to read documentation before installing anything?

1. You do not need IIS to run Tomcat.

2. It is IIS that listens on port 80. It has nothing to do with Tomcat.

3. Running Tomcat does not require JavaEE.  JavaSE is enough.
 JDK is good, but even JRE is enough.

4. I do not know whether your GlassFish is running.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko