Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by "Mark J. Stang" <ma...@earthlink.net> on 2002/02/06 19:53:22 UTC

Xerces 2

Kimbro/Tom,
Any plans to do the first release using Xerces 2?

regards,
Mark

Re: Xerces 2

Posted by er...@rcn.com.
On 6 Feb 2002 at 13:01, Tom Bradford wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 6, 2002, at 11:53 AM, Mark J. Stang wrote: >
> Kimbro/Tom, > Any plans to do the first release using Xerces 2?
>
> Dunno.  Xindice works with Xerces 2 from all outward indications, and
> Sun has it operating against the Xerces 2 jars in their web services
> developer pack, but my leaning is to keep the smaller Jar just to keep
> the distribution small.  Overall, makes no difference to me, and I
> guess depends on what the users want.
>
> So.... What do you want?

Should this question go to the users list, then?

I'd like to see Xerces2, because it has better schema support, and it is more forward
looking. The Apache Xerces home page had been recommending moving to
Xerces2 because it was replacing Xerces1 and that Xerces1 was to become a dead
project, but I can no longer find this, so I wonder if they are backing off from retiring it
right away. (Anyone have the dirt on this?)

Eric Schwarzenbach

Re: Xerces 2

Posted by Tom Bradford <br...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, February 6, 2002, at 01:22 PM, Chad La Joie wrote:

> Would there be any benefit to moving Xindice to use the XNI interfaces
> of Xerces2?  I haven't really looked at XNI yet, but it's a thought.

I've used XNI to implement a pull parser for my employer.  It's very
well designed.  As far as Xindice's concerned, it would be better if we
could be JAXP bootstrapped wherever possible so that we're not tied to
any one XML parser.

--
Tom Bradford - http://www.tbradford.org
Apache Xindice (Native XML Database) - http://xml.apache.org

Re: Xerces 2

Posted by Chad La Joie <cl...@vt.edu>.

Re: Xerces 2

Posted by Chad La Joie <cl...@vt.edu>.
At 03:32 PM 2/6/2002, you wrote:
>I believe I saw an message that said it was faster...
>I haven't done any comparisons.   Also, it is a
>complete rewrite, so it might be safer to stick
>with one that works...

It is faster.  I use it in a lot of our code here at the University and it
seems to be about 20-30% faster.

>I want speed ;-).   I am using the sax parser for some of
>my internal parsing and JDom for creating some of the
>documents.   I will probably stop using JDom because I
>think it is faster to create documents through StringBuffer :-).

The StringBuffer will become slower as the document size increases (I've
tried this approach to, it was unhappy with a 150MB XML document)

>I suppose that I could try and find a faster SAX parser...

Look here.  The Electric Mind SAX parser is VERY fast.
http://www.themindelectric.com/products/xml/xml.html

Re: Xerces 2

Posted by Joel Rosi-Schwartz <jo...@btconnect.com>.

"Mark J. Stang" wrote:

> I believe I saw an message that said it was faster...
> I haven't done any comparisons.   Also, it is a
> complete rewrite, so it might be safer to stick
> with one that works...
>
> I want speed ;-).   I am using the sax parser for some of
> my internal parsing and JDom for creating some of the
> documents.   I will probably stop using JDom because I
> think it is faster to create documents through StringBuffer :-).

I switched from JDom to dom4j a month or so ago and had very appreciable
performance improvements. No formal testing, but observation indicated almost
two fold. Note, however, that I do very heavy processing once the documents
are retrieved, so your mileage may vary.

- joel

Re: Xerces 2

Posted by Tom Bradford <br...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, February 6, 2002, at 03:02 PM, Mark J. Stang wrote:
> 56k, are you thinking that "Neanderthal Man" will be downloading
> Xindice ;-)?

The majority of internet users are still using 56k modems...  Sad but
true.  For quite a while after moving to Arizona, I couldn't get cable
modem or DSL service in my area, and was stuck using 56k, or doing all
of my high-traffic transfers when I was at work.

Re: Xerces 2

Posted by "Mark J. Stang" <ma...@earthlink.net>.

Re: Xerces 2

Posted by Tom Bradford <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Xerces 2

Posted by "Mark J. Stang" <ma...@earthlink.net>.

Re: Xerces 2

Posted by Tom Bradford <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Xerces 2

Posted by "Mark J. Stang" <ma...@earthlink.net>.
SHIP IT!!!  My vote, no last minute changes!!!

regards,

Mark

Re: Xerces 2

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@dbxmlgroup.com>.