Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> on 2014/04/11 15:38:18 UTC

Ceph RBD speed and snapshot usage improvements for CloudStack 4.4

Hi,

I just pushed to commits to master and cherry picked them to the 4.4
branch to resolve a long outstanding issue with the time it takes to
deploy templates and back up snapshots of RBD.

The two commits [0][1] also address the space used by RBD snapshots on
Secondary Storage.

Before librbd (used by Qemu) 0.67.5 (Ceph Dumpling) qemu-img couldn't
create RBD format images which is required for deploying a template to
RBD. Format 2 is used to perform layering and snapshotting on RBD images.

The same version of librbd also allows to directly copy a snapshot from
RBD to QCOW2 or RAW output. Since qemu-img now does the work the
destination image is sparse instead of a full write of the RBD image's size.

Both patches will make sure that initial deployment of a template on RBD
is a lot faster and that backing up a RBD snapshot to Secondary Storage
will consume less time, storage and network bandwidth.

I have to note however, you require at least librbd 0.67.5 on your
systems in order for these patches work.

I think some people will be very happy with this.

Wido

[0]:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git;a=commit;h=95f6f6531260f0e0946eec3212d06b0d71befc9e
[1]: