Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Barnett, Brian W." <bb...@scholarinc.com> on 2005/02/16 17:34:48 UTC

[OT] RE: automatic periodic execution of code

Are you trying to configure Quartz in web.xml as a servlet or in
struts-config.xml as a struts plug-in?

We're using Tomcat, not WebSphere, but it seems like we ran into a few
issues trying to run it as a servlet. I don't remember what the issues were,
sorry.

We ended up running it as a struts plug-in. Here's some sample code:

--snippet from struts-config.xml--
	<plug-in className="com.scholar.plugin.QuartzPlugin"/>

--QuartzPlugin class--
public class QuartzPlugin implements PlugIn {
	private final static Log log =
LogFactory.getLog(QuartzPlugin.class.getName());
	private String SCHOLAR_GROUP = "ScholarGroup";
	Scheduler sched;

	public void init(ActionServlet servlet, ModuleConfig moduleConfig)
			  throws ServletException {
		log.info("Quartz starting");

		try {
			sched = StdSchedulerFactory.getDefaultScheduler();
			sched.start();

			// Register job listeners with the scheduler
			sched.addJobListener(new Stethoscope());

			// Get the JobDetail object for our HeartBeatJob
			JobDetail jobDetail =
sched.getJobDetail("HeartBeatJob", "ScholarJobGroup");

			// Assign the Stethoscope to listen to the heart
beat.
			jobDetail.addJobListener(Stethoscope.LISTENER_NAME);

		} catch (Exception e) {
			log.info("Quartz Scheduler failed to initialize: " +
e.toString());
			throw new ServletException(e);
		}

		log.debug("Quartz started");
	}

	public void destroy() {
		log.info("Quartz stopping");

		try {
			sched.shutdown();
		} catch (SchedulerException ex) {
			ex.printStackTrace();
		}

		sched = null;
	}

Posted by Gaet <ga...@free.fr>.
Thanks for the answer brian ...I will have a look at your sample
carrefully...

Yes, I'm trying to configure Quartz with Websphere using a Servlet....but
I'm not sure of my Quartz.properties file to begin...:( The documentation is
very poor and not much support...maybe I will have to use it another way
(like your plugin suggestion)..

Anyone have managed configure Quartz with Websphere?

TIA

Gaet